Job description / Role
Primary Purpose of the Position
• Fully responsible to provide management, leadership and control of a team of project management staff to achieve conclusion of design and construction, spanning over and ranging from project definition through execution to completion stages, according to the approved budget, schedule, quality and safety requirements.
• Assign duties to project management team and monitor their performance and quality of works.
• Generally, handles multiple projects at a time with full responsibility for completion and handover.
• Includes providing proper quality control and adequate supervision to ensure the proper execution of works to the highest standards.
• Plan and coordinate engineering studies, design and construction works within his sphere of operation, including preparation of budgets, control and timely commitment of same to ensure that facilities can be handed over on time and within budget.
• Participate in assessing the results of appropriate studies relative to projects.
• Includes examining the results of engineering studies, analyzing and reviewing various engineering options and carrying out economic analysis.
• Provide recommendations and prepare presentations to support and justify suggestion.
• Participate in the conceptual design work on approved projects.
• Discuss detailed requirements with End Users and/or design consultants, set criteria and, in the case of design consultants, evaluate, discuss and draft recommendations.
• Responsible and accountable for the application of CLIENT philosophies, policies and standard in order to promote and maintain a world class technical quality of fit-for-purpose, environmentally safe and sound engineering designs and construction.
• Assume full technical responsibility with associated accountability for all assigned projects.
• Participate in evaluating and recommending priorities for execution of all projects.
• Priorities are determined after a critical evaluation of each project against established criteria, including safety issues.
• Allocate internal resources of group to suit the complex requirements of number of projects assigned to the group and at various stages of projects lifecycle.
• Responsible for participating in, evaluation of and recommending implementation strategies for large complex projects.
• Contribute in the production of Engineering standards, procedures, and work practices suitable for the corporation as relevant to discipline areas within section areas of responsibility.
• Review and recommend engineering procedures, international standards & guidelines and obtains waivers/variations.
• Manage the studies for the space and building programs for all projects assigned to the group and provide recommendations to End Users/Owners of the most cost effective program.
• Oversee the design review and comment process on consultant's / contractor's concept / design /.
• Working drawings, specifications, tender documentation and submittals to ensure compliance with CLIENT standards and project briefs while meeting end-user requirements.
• Supervise and control assigned project management personnel engaged for the project.
• Assign duties to project management staff within his sphere of operation and monitor their performance and quality of work.
• Supervise detailed design preparation which is normally carried out by Consultant.
• Prepare tender documents, review and comment on bids and provide recommendation for selection of the design consultant.
• Set design brief, liaise between other disciplines and consultants to ensure all dates, standards and requirements are clearly indicated to the consultant.
• Organize and control meetings during the design phase where problems of progress are discussed and agreed.
• Approve necessary modifications to design packages and keep detailed minutes of all meeting and agreements through to the final approval of the design package.
• Coordinate with end users and other departments to develop space / building program for specific projects and maximizes the use of in-house resources and expertise.
• Follow upon CLIENT procurement requirements for approved projects
• Prepare execution plans and progress reports for individual projects and liaise with Government Departments and external agencies to ensure that statutory regulations and requirements are met.
• Supervise the construction phase of all assigned projects.
• Monitor progress and quality of construction works and interface with other departments / agencies to ensure the project objectives are met.
• Carry out various duties related to the final completion of assigned projects.
• Includes preparing "Close Out Report" and submitting to the asset holder, and circulating to other concerned departments.
• Receive and ensure that all "As Built: drawings are correct and complete, and signed for acceptance / approval.
• Prepare "'Weekly and monthly progress reports for all assigned projects and progress them to his supervisor with comments on any variations or delays in completion target.
• Ensure that all relevant quality, health, safety and environmental procedures, instructions and controls are adhered so that the safety of employees, quality of products/services and environmental compliance can be guaranteed.
• Perform other related duties and assignments as directed.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor Degree in Engineering or equivalent with training in project management and construction management.
• Professional membership such as PE (USA), P. Eng (Canada), Chartered Engineer (UK) is preferred.
• Project Management certification such as PMP from recognized Project Management Institution such as PMI is preferred.
• Minimum 25 years broad based experience in project management covering initiation, design, construction, commissioning of the large projects particularly in the Middle East.
• Must have experience in developing and controlling healthcare projects from conceptual design to commissioning and completion. Project management
skills must include Contract Administration and a sound knowledge of different project execution strategies.
• Possesses excellent leadership skills. and ability to technically and administratively lead, supervise and motivate a project management team. Have excellent planning, decision making, problem solving and organizational skills.
• Must have thorough knowledge of industry/international standards, and ability to interpret for specific application with relevant disciplines. Communication & negotiating skills as ·well as an ability to work in a multicultural team environment must be well developed and proven.
• The position· is mentally very demanding due to the diversity of the work and responsibilities involved.
• The job holder assumes full technical and management responsibilities for execution of a wide range and significant and prestigious number of concurrently running Projects.
• Works within the framework of- approved corporate policies, procedures and standards, while exercising a high degree of independence in selecting technical applications and methodologies for promoting fit-for-purpose, environmentally sound designs, and in providing expert advice on a wide variety of technically related manners.
• Evaluate and provide solutions for particular, technically demanding special situations.
• Review and recommend resolution of particularly complex and non-routine problems, or provide viable alternatives.
• Identify technical risks and anticipated problem to projects, and propose mitigating solutions and actions.
• Review and critically assess a range of options for a given problem, and recommend one acceptable technical/commercial solution from a range of options.
About the Company
Qatar Project Management (QPM) is an independent subsidiary of Barwa Real Estate Development Company that provides expertise in Project Management, Design Management, Construction Management, and Contract Administration together with other associated Project Management functions. Established in 2008, QPM is centralized platform for provision of Project Management services to Barwa and Qatari Diar as well as local and international markets. QPM provides these services through an in-house team of highly-skilled, motivated, and qualified professionals supported by state-of-the-art information technology and highly-effective Project Management systems.
A Leading Project Management Consultancy in Qatar
Qatar Project Management (QPM)
Qatar Project Management (QPM)
Head of Project Support Office
Qatar Project Management (QPM)