Job description / Role
• Perform conceptual, FEED, Studies, and detailed analyses and design as per design basis, project specifications, design codes and standards.
• Apply knowledge and skills to a wide range of standard and nonstandard situations.
• Prepare clear and accurate detailed design calculations and analyses including design reports and procedures.
• Manage own time to meet agreed deadlines and budgets, and develop plans for short-term work activities in own area.
• Clearly communicate and explain complex issues and work to establish understanding.
• Perform detailed engineering and design calculations including analysis of offshore structures (inservice / pre-service conditions).
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Be fully familiar with the project scope of work, specifications, schedule and all inter-discipline requirements; including identifying concerns as early as practicable and taking appropriate initiatives to address the issues.
• Identify changes to scope and promptly raise change notifications, including providing any necessary supporting documentation and estimates. Provide similar support for Variation Orders.
• Interface with all disciplines to develop clash free designs.
• Interface with other departments to obtain input for Discipline designs and drawings.
• Maintain close co-ordination with other engineering disciplines, Planning, Fabrication, Marine, and Project Management Team, as required.
• Document substantive communications (communications that result in significant decisions or assignment of actions) and forward copies to Discipline Lead Engineer and Discipline Manager.
• Assist in preparation of estimates for bid proposals, including technical query reviews, execution statements and manhour estimates.
• Raise technical queries to obtain missing information, clarify work scope, and to maintain preferred McDermott procedures, specifications, standards, practices and operational requirements.
• Prepare Discipline engineering design basis, philosophies, and technical specifications, as required.
• Participate in finalizing deliverables lists and deliverables, ensuring compliance with specifications and functional integrity.
• Attend project review meetings, vendor meetings, engineering meetings and offshore site surveys, as required.
• Provide technical direction and review of Designers producing products related to Structural Engineering.
• Prepare and review design reports and procedures.
• Assist in providing necessary design inputs to other disciplines to enable them in proceeding with their deliverables.
• Assist procurement personnel in procuring Discipline equipment, materials and services; ensuring that work produced complies with Customer objectives and procedures.
• Procurement assistance includes preparing and reviewing requisitions, evaluating technical quotations and preparing queries, compiling bid tabulations and recommendations, preparing purchase requisitions, and coordinating with Procurement to expedite vendor documents, as directed by Discipline Lead Engineer.
• Assist in updating weight report based on receipt of vendor information.
• Check engineering performed by others within Discipline.
• Review vendor and subcontractor submittals, checking for compliance with project specifications and providing comments as necessary.
• Perform design verification through single-discipline check / inter-discipline check (IDC).
• Provide technical support to all fabrication queries, including identifying defect / rectification requirements.
• Keep the Lead Engineer apprised of all activities and concerns, technical, budgetary and manpower related.
• Assist in providing inputs for actual, planning and forecasting progress reports including associated productivity.
• Check final subcontractor and vendor data manuals to ensure that all requested data has been received and approved.
• Participate in internal, Customer and third party technical audits on engineering deliverables and vendor documents.
• Assist Lead Engineer with responses to Customer and other agencies (such as certifying authorities, auditors, third parties, etc.) on their review and approval.
• Capture lessons learned and enter into MDR's Lessons Learned system.
• Capture Knowledge Objects and enter into MDR's K.now system.
• Act as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
• Guide less experienced engineers on MDR and Discipline procedures, standards, worksheets, design calculations, software, requisitions, technical bid evaluations, technical queries, etc.
• Be aware of costs related to own work and of the discipline.
• Provide guidance on preparing structural general arrangements, basic schemes for fabrication and installation.
• Prepare / review design analyses, calculations and procedures for discipline deliverables such as:
• Analyze structures for in-service conditions such as static, fatigue, earthquake, etc.
• Analyze structures for pre-service conditions such as lift analyses, loadout analyses, and transportation and tie down analyses.
• Perform detailed steelwork design.
• Prepare Weight and Center of Gravity reports.
• Review all detailed drawings ensuring technical correctness, professional presentation and that fabrication and installation requirements are satisfied.
• Familiar with software tools in addition to MicroSAS, such as ANSYS or GRLWEAP
Essential Qualifications and Education:
• Bachelor Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
• (Master Degree is Preferred)
• 6+ years in oil and gas with major contractor or consultant predominantly performing detail design of offshore facilities
• Strong working knowledge of many design techniques and analysis methods, and detailed knowledge of the content and application of standards, codes and guidelines as applicable for offshore.
• Has continued to develop working knowledge of offshore structural codes and standards.
• Preferably Registered Professional Engineer or member of professional engineering society
About the Company
McDermott is a premier, fully-integrated provider of engineering and construction solutions to the energy industry. Our customers trust our technology-driven approach to design and build infrastructure solutions to responsibly transport and transform oil and gas into the products the world needs today. From concept to commissioning, our expertise and comprehensive solutions deliver certainty, innovation and added value to energy projects around the world. It is called the “One McDermott Way.”
Operating in over 54 countries, McDermott’s locally-focused and globally-integrated resources include approximately 40,000 employees, a diversified fleet of specialty marine construction vessels and fabrication facilities around the world.
Civil Structural Engineer
|Saudi Arabia||19 Oct|
Structural Design Engineer
Senior Structural Engineer
RTC-1 Employment Services