Job description / Role
This role is a trilingual simultaneous interpreter/text translator working predominately as part of our TV team.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
• To interpret simultaneously a range of material including: official speeches, interviews with contributors, discussion programmes for TV news bulletins, news/current affairs and other programmes, under the direction of the TV Editors and Senior Broadcast Journalists.
• To perform translations in at least three languages - English/Arabic-Arabic/English and a third language preferably: French-German-Spanish- Russian- Turkish - in front of the microphone, live or in recording sessions.
• To translate, adapt, voice and record material including packages and scripts for broadcasting.
• To translate text material on occasion as required, including online scripts, programme transcripts and press releases around special seasons or events.
• To shorten packages or scripts for broadcasting and online publication under editorial guidance.
• To use the full range of programme resources available.
• Proof reading and writing news.
• Work extended hours in cases of live and/or breaking news coverages as required by management
• A proven professional knowledge and experience in at least 2 languages – Arabic, English and a third language: Preferably one of the following – German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish - including complete comprehension of the spoken and written languages. It would be preferable for the translator to be an Arabic speaker.
• A thorough and up to date knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs in the Middle East North Africa region and internationally.
• High level of concentration, discipline and proven ability to deliver accuracy in conveying the translation clearly from one language to the other during discussion programmes and other output.
• To work and deliver high-quality professional interpretation/translation under pressure and meeting deadlines.
• A good general knowledge of contemporary political, economic, social and scientific issues.
• Good computer/keyboard and IT skills and a good knowledge of useful digital and internet sources.
• The role includes shift work and working at weekends and public holidays
• Professional Judgement - demonstrates accuracy in conveying ideas and expressions in a debate environment.
• Planning and organisation - able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
• Communication - able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
• Influencing and persuading - able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
• Managing relationships and team working - able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
• Resilience - manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
• Flexibility - adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
• 2 years or more experience in relevant field.
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
• Fluent in Arabic, English
About the Company
Kershaw Leonard is committed to finding First Class people for its World Class Clients. Since our inauguration in September 1999, We have become well-respected specialists for all aspects of Human Resource Consultancy and Recruitment, and bring a standard of professional conduct (through the Recruitment Employment Confederation UK) to the industry here in the Middle East. Our qualified Consultants deliver a unique quality of service that is designed to meet the individual needs of both Candidates and Clients.
Our specialist recruitment divisions cover permanent, temporary and contract staff, and Executive Search, in the following sectors:
Senior Executives and Directors; Design; Engineering and Construction; Finance and Banking; Human Resources and Training; IT and Telecoms; Legal; Logistics and Supply Chain Management; Media; Office Management; Retail; Sales and Marketing and Secretarial and Business Support.
Government Relations Officer
Big Fish Recruitment
Arabic Executive Assistant
Irwin & Dow