Job description / Role
The incumbent is accountable for the Construction Management of the NEOM Green Fuels Project, including:
* A 2,500 MW (*) solar power plant;
* A 1,250 MW (*) wind farm;
* Battery storage facilities for power storage;
* An electrical grid system to connect the various facilities and (back-up) connection(s) to the primary electrical grid;
* A 2,2 GW (*) hydrogen electrolysis plant;
* A 103,000 Nm3 (*) per hour (N2) air separation unit (ASU);
* Hydrogen and nitrogen storage facilities;
* Nameplate capacity of 1.4 Mtpa (*) green ammonia plant and storage; and
* A maritime offloading facility including a connection to the ammonia storage facility
* Final capacity is subject to optimization and will be final when the EPC contract commences.
This Project is one of the largest and most complex capital projects for Air Products and is transformational for the organization and beyond. It will be the first industrial-scale mega Project providing a green energy carrier worldwide to contribute to the decarbonization of the industry. This position's complexity is derived from the size and organization of this Project with an expected peak-manpower above 18.000 workers at various construction sites at the same time. Additionally, unique EH&S challenges are stemming from the individual specifics of the scope in each element.
The Construction Director will be responsible for leading and managing all aspects of Construction delivery throughout the project lifecycle. The Construction Director lead the Air Products construction execution organisation and will interface with project stakeholders, partners and corporate leadership to ensure compliance with Air Product's expectations on safety, quality, cost and schedule performance.
* Direct and Lead the Neom Helios Green Fuels Construction teams to achieve excellence in Construction performance, against KPI's related to EHS, Cost, Schedule and Quality.
* Work with the Global and Regional Functional Management to ensure that Work Processes, Procedures and Standards are available, applied consistently and followed in a disciplined manner.
* Formulate and implement strategies for executing Construction work on the project
* Lead and direct the Neom Helios Green Fuels Construction team in the accurate assessment of safety, execution, resourcing and financial and schedule performance to ensure timely reporting to Executive Management
* Take lead during Proposal and Project stage to ensure constructability is built into the design of each plant, including the design team considering how the construction will be realized in the field.
* Lead the successful delivery of the preliminary design and statutory procedures during pre-construction project development phases using the AWP approach. The post holder will lead and create the construction strategy, scenario, methodology and construction execution programme.
* Support the project with the development of the Sub-contracting and partnering strategy.
* Develop liaison between other key departments, Partners, sub-contractors and external agencies.
* Coordinate technical input on constructability throughout the development of the design of a project.
* A significant level of health, safety and environmental experience will be required. This is to proactively input to key considerations (during design) and advising on realisation of mitigation. Drive the project HSE culture across construction
* Extensive communication skills are required in order to effectively liaise with the project team and client staff regarding construction activities.
* Extensive understanding of both Prime and Sub-contracts with experience of administrating both post award.
* Extensive understanding of Project controls, including change management, construction scheduling and cost forecasting
* The post holder will be required to have experience delivering large ($500mm to $3,000mm) capital construction projects.
* Experience with construction of hydrogen, industrial gases, petrochemical or refineries preferred
The Construction Director directly supervises site construction management organisation and regional office construction task force support organisations. The Construction Director will work closely with regional functional managers to ensure alignment on company recruiting and corporate procedures
Assignment And Review Of Work
* The Construction Director is expected to be able to demonstrate a high level of autonomy and to be able to set the necessary strategies, objectives and select the appropriate resources to achieve the objectives and goals.
* You will be responsible for interfacing with regional functional managers identifying new systems and continuous improvement opportunities which will benefit the project
* The Construction Director is expected to be an experienced manager able to operate independently and able to take decisions where appropriate and to offer guidance without reference to higher Management.
* You are expected to take decisions regarding safety, management, budget, schedule, strategies and quality without reference to higher Management. Levels of financial decision making are governed by the Corporate Approval limits.
Contact With Others
* The Construction Director must have the highest levels of communication skills both within and outside Air Products.
* You must be able to inspire confidence and leadership ability through communication at all levels.
* You have contacts at Management and Executive level within Air Products and regularly with the Engineering, Project and Procurement Leadership Teams.
* You will be required to build relationships and instill confidence with organisations outside Air Products including:
- Partners Senior Management
- Contractor's Executive and Senior Management
- External National Bodies and Organisations
Knowledge And Experience Required
* A very broad experience of Engineering, Design, Manufacturing and Construction together with relevant Commercial experience in Contracting / Procurement.
* Experience must enable the ability to relate to Customers, Senior Executives, Engineering, Operations, Manufacturing, External Engineering Organisations, Suppliers and Contractors.
* A proven ability to show leadership qualities often under difficult and arduous circumstances.
* An ability to handle a wide range of demands and commitments and to have the skills to manage these while maintaining the confidence of Senior Management and the support of the Project and Site Teams.
* The proven ability to develop relationships with Key Stake Holders such as the Business Area, Operations and Executive Management across the Global Organisation and to establish credibility and trust with them.
* The Construction Director must act with the highest regard to the safety of the work undertaken, the health of employees, contractors and himself, and for the environment. He must have the highest personal standard of integrity.
* Engineering Degree or equivalent (required)
* Membership of an Engineering Institution and Chartered Engineer status (desirable)
* 20 years in a related industry - including extensive project execution/delivery at senior management/director level.
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.