Job description / Role
Every memorable dining experience at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts begins behind the scenes with our culinary team's commitment to safe, efficient operations and exceptional cuisine. As Executive Chef, your expertise in recipe development elevates our menus while your leadership inspires and fosters our culinary talent.
Hotel Overview: Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, is located only a few steps away from the Masjid Al Haram and the Holy Ka'aba. This 76-story hotel, one of the world's tallest, is the focal point of the Abraj Al Bait Complex, part of the King Abdul Aziz Endowment Project, is the iconic symbol of hospitality in the Holy City. The hotel authentic hospitality is seen throughout 1618 guest rooms and suites are thoughtfully and elegantly appointed-with extravagant amenities and five-star services that allow for peaceful reflection and repose .
Summary of Responsibilities:
Reporting to Director of F&B, responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- To administer the kitchen effectively and efficiently. To handle all activities and procedures in the kitchens and stewarding within the limitation and policies set forth by the management.
- To organise his kitchen and preparations in an efficient manner to cope with the daily restaurant business and daily banquet functions, so that no additional labour is required than those budgeted.
- To delegate and motivate executive sous chefs, sous chefs in their work and development for leadership.
- To take an active part in the development of new food items for all food service areas.
- To be constantly on the alert for new products which may improve the quality of food on lower food cost without sacrificing the standard; and to make suggestions to the Director of F&B concerning improvements in guest satisfaction and business volume.
- To ensure that there are always enough supplies in the kitchen and storeroom.
- To ensure that all equipment is properly handled and maintained by the team members.
- To prepare the menus for the different rooms with the Director of F&B with necessary revision on a quarterly basis to ensure that profit potentials in each food outlet is maximised.
- To plan the use of ingredients in such a manner so as to minimise leftovers and to reuse these in the best productive manner possible.
- To ensure that all purchases are processed through proper procedures.
Personnel & Training:
- To hire and discipline all culinary team members when necessary, while remaining fair and impartial at all times.
- To ensure that that hiring of staff is properly processed.
- To be fully conversant with the Hotels' hiring and discharging policy.
- To prepare and update job descriptions periodically for culinary personnel.
- To conduct regular meetings with his executive sous chefs and attend section meetings conducted by his executive sous chefs.
- To develop and implement training programs for the staff under his supervision.
- To review scheduled working hours of the different sections within his department, taking into consideration the volume of expected business, but being careful at all times to conserve labour costs.
- To maintain effective communications between himself, the restaurant managers, the Director of F&B, the Food & Beverage Cost Controller.
- To check periodically all culinary team members for complete uniform cleanliness - uniform and grooming.
- To aid in development and ensure that business operating objectives are met according to the standards established, ie, food cost, portion control, quality of food, productivity, labour cost, speed in service.
- To consult with the Food & Beverage Cost Controller and Director of F&B in the adjustment of menu pricing.
- To determine the prices of unlisted food items, to implement the quality and size of portions of food in dining rooms and banquets.
- To control and minimise any spoil or contaminated products.
- To control the quality and quantity of the ingredients, suggest modifications or other ingredients to be used which may yield a better profitability.
- To ensure the items prepared are always of the highest quality possible, both in presentation and taste.
- To work very closely with the chief steward in keeping the kitchens clean and orderly.
- To determine on the basis of expected volume of business, quantity of food to be prepared.
- To monitor the turnover of materials in all storing areas and to eliminate wastage and spoilage.
- To check the maintenance of all equipment located in his area or to request immediate repair when necessary.
- To make every effort to prevent damage or loss of Hotel property.
- To ensure that soiled or damaged serving utensils are not put into use, watching out particularly for cracked or chipped glassware and chinaware in cooperation with the chief and assistant steward.
- To develop a working relationship within the Hotel that will attain and maintain a high level of team member morale.
- To provide adequate advice and counsel to all operating departments that will aid them in achieving their goals.
- To maintain a close liaison among all department heads.
- To conduct himself in such a manner so as to encourage fellow team members to follow, thus enhancing the status of his position and that of the Hotel.
- To develop and maintain and disseminate the basic Hotel philosophy of Management and policies to all present team members and the newly hired personnel.
- To collaborate closely with all the Food & Beverage Departments and the Food & Beverage Cost Controllers.
- To consult with the Restaurant Managers regarding guests' comments, desires and to seek their opinion of new menu items.
Local Laws & Regulations:
- To have complete knowledge of local labour laws and contracts.
- To have complete knowledge of the local food service laws.
- To comply with the local kitchen sanitary regulations.
- Comply with hotel and department policies and procedures at all times.
- Carry out any other duties as and when assigned by the Management of the Hotel.
- Previous leadership experience in the culinary field required.
- Diploma certification in a culinary discipline an asset.
- Proven track record of cost control including food, equipment, labour and wastage to meet the goals and the hotel's financial goals.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Window applications required.
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving abilities.
- Highly responsible & reliable.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team.
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times.
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
We are an inclusive company and our ambition is to attract, recruit and promote diverse talent.
Why work for Accor?
We are far more than a worldwide leader. We welcome you as you are and you can find a job and brand that matches your personality. We support you to grow and learn every day, making sure that work brings purpose to your life, so that during your journey with us, you can continue to explore Accor's limitless possibilities.
By joining Accor, every chapter of your story is yours to write and together we can imagine tomorrow's hospitality.
About the Company
A caring employer providing respect, training and career development for our employees. An attractive employer offering more than 100 professions across the 5 continents.
We are much more than a world leader. We are 250,000 hoteliers with the same shared passion for welcoming. We take care of millions of guests in our 4,300 addresses and on our digital platforms. As an operator and franchisor (HotelServices), owner and investor (HotelInvest), we invest all our energy into making "Feel Welcome" resonate as the finest hotel promise.
From luxury to economy and in every corner of the globe, AccorHotels' more than 20 brands meet all the needs of business and leisure travelers seeking comfort, attention and high-quality services.