Job description / Role
• The employee will be part of a technology team for Air Products new technology center in Dhahran Techno Valley (DTV) in Saudi Arabia.
• This individual with be responsible for setting up, owning and operating a Syngas Technology Laboratory and research programs focused on using pilot scale unit to study preforming and reforming of natural gas and another liquid hydrocarbon feedstock
• Primary focus will be on working with the development of new syngas generation technologies (steam reforming method, auto-thermal reforming and other approaches) from variety of feedstocks in close cooperation with other departments in R&D within syngas conversion, catalyst qualification & materials engineering.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Involves in the design and development of proprietary test equipment for the syngas based technologies (MeOH, NH3, Hydrogen, Formaldehyde, SNG, etc.)
• Support the successful technical commercialization of new operating Steam Methane Reforming (SMR) assets and liaise with HyCO Operations team
• Plan, execute, and continuously evaluate laboratory and pilot-scale experiments including data analysis and modelling studies
• Run experimental set-ups for syngas purification with catalyst/sorbent, optimize experimental conditions, and integrate systems.
• Responsible for the analysis of various chemical parameters and the utilization of several analytical types of equipment (GC, TGA-MS, FTIR, XRD, XRF, etc.) for catalyst, adsorbent and feedstock characterization
• Have an interest in classic chemical engineering disciplines with a preference for reactor engineering, mathematical modelling, and conceptual process design
• Responsible for preventive and operational maintenance of pilot plant equipment
• Interface with multiple Air Products departments including Business-Development, HyCO Plants, Technology & Operations to ensure alignment with robust R&D programs
• Participate in HAZOP reviews, overall lab EH&S
• Provide technical participation in the execution of new SMR projects. Assist in the commercialization of new assets. Engage and champion appropriate technical solutions
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• PhD degree in Chemical and/or Materials Engineering
• Previous R&D or work experience in thermochemical processes (e.g., Steam Methane reforming, Syngas Production, pyrolysis, gasification, etc.) and removal of pollutants from gas via catalysis and/or adsorption
• Hands on experience in material synthesis, characterization and testing as well as reactor design and fabrication
• Ability to supervise junior group members.
• Good writing and communication skills in English.
• Experience in preparation of progress reports and peer-reviewed publications.
• Eagerness to get involved in hands-on work
• Good engineering problem-solving skills, good interpersonal and communication skills
• Global mindset, cross cultural agility and resourcefulness
• Willingness to learn new technologies
• Experience in engineering or related field
• Good project management and prioritization skills
• Capable to develop research strategies aligned with business and organizational goals
• Able to build collaborative relationships with regional Universities and Companies
• Fluency in written and spoken English is a necessity.
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.