Job description / Role
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advising on a wide range of legal matters relating to the company business, including new business endeavors and development, corporate transaction and governance, financing, and operational and oil and gas-related matters.
- Sits and/or contributes on a number of the company’s committees as required.
- Serves as the company’s corporate secretary when required and/or attends the company Board meetings and effectively advises the Board on any legal/contractual related matters as needed.
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies and procedures and provides advice on legal matters and on legal implications of all corporate governance, business and compliance matters under the relevant jurisdiction (English and Saudi law).
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues of concern to senior management, estimates risks strategically, identifies and develops legal strategies and proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks and maximize legal rights; provides expert advice for strategic planning and execution purposes.
- Oversees all major domestic and international business transactions, including a wide variety of commercial contracts (with input from business/technical partners), leases, vendor contracts, product sales, and licensing agreements, lucrative project and EPC contracts, as well as corporate contracts with third parties.
- Leads the review, amendment, negotiation and drafting activities of all contracts, agreements and regulatory-related documents.
- Develops company contract templates, handles regulatory issues such as employment/labour law issues, and monitors all aspects of procurement law.
- Oversees all litigation and pre-litigation related matters, leads and manages dispute avoidance and resolution, all legal proceedings, arbitrations/mediations and negotiations of any other legal disputes, devises strategy for claims and approves settlements of disputes where warranted; properly advising senior management regarding such matters.
- Responsible for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations and oversees staff in matters relating to the company’s legal and compliance affairs.
- Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Retains, manages and evaluates outside legal counsel, where appropriate, and manages outside legal consultant budgets.
- Bases decision making process on ethics and integrity.
- Deals with external parties (regulators, external counsel, clients/customers/contractors).
- Structures and manages the company’s internal legal function and staff.
- Bachelor Degree in Law or equivalent
- 10 years of experience in Legal Advisory in a commercial environment and/or with a Law firm, with at least 5 years in a similar position.
About the Company
SATORP, in its promising future, is one of the most complex refineries in the world, with a processing capacity of 400,000 barrels per day of Arabian Heavy Crude to produce petroleum products and petrochemicals with commitment to the highest international standards of health, safety and environment; and at the same time having continuous development and leadership in the region. This world-class refinery that came to being out of the expertise of the two oil giants, Saudi Aramco and Total, is located at Jubail Industrial City in the east of Saudi Arabia.