Job description / Role
The Engineering Director's role will be critical in providing management oversight and monitoring of the performance of the EPC contractor both in the design and engineering of the facility, as well as, in the construction, commissioning and final completion and hand-over. The green hydrogen element site with the electrolyzers, H2 compression and storage, air separation units, the ammonia production and storage facility and auxiliary systems is located on the Red Sea coast north of the town of Duba. The power elements comprising wind and solar plants are sited approximately 150 km north and 60 km west, respectively of the GHE plant.
The Engineering Director will be embedded in the Owner's Execution Team. Given the complexity of the overall project, a matrix organization is envisaged to allow the role to work and coordinate across the Project Leads (Project Managers and Project Directors) of the green hydrogen, the power and the network and interface elements. Further, the role may utilize the dedicated functional support service resources within the Team to source expertise for quality management, EHSS, contracts administration and project controls
The Role shall set up its own dedicated Owner's Engineer team to complement the resources in the matrix organization. This will involve specialist staffing resources seconded from the individual JV shareholders with strong operational expertise, plus the use of third party SMEs for the construction/commissioning oversight and monitoring.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES
The Engineering Director's role spans across all project elements. In that respect, it is similar to the functional support services which serve the element Project Managers and Directors. It does play the key role in ensuring the quality and level of engineering and execution performance of the EPC Contractor in accordance with the Project Documents. An important and critical feature of the role is to ensure the correct and seamless technical interface between the various project elements.
Notwithstanding the above, the principal duties will cover and not be limited to the following:
The Engineering Director (ED) shall be responsible for the coordination and supervision of resources for the review and approval of the design and engineering documentation as listed in the EPC Contractor's Document Review Matrix (Document List) in accordance with the baseline submission/delivery date and approval dates of the documents. The ED shall manage the EPC Contractor to provide all documents consistently according to an agreed the Document Control System. Importantly, the ED shall manage the entire internal design review process, including but not limited to the process of review and approval of all documents in the DRM in accordance with the Project Documents and according to good engineering practice. The ED shall ensure the efficient and optimum use of time and effort with least administrative effort by use of select and appropriate document management systems and online edit tools.
Furthermore, the ED shall conduct regular engineering/technical meetings with the EPC Contractor and other stakeholders as necessary for the purpose of resolving and clarifying outstanding issues in the review process and to provide regular updates of the DRM including actual progress and new forecast dates. The ED shall coordinate the submission of weekly/monthly reports to line-management detailing progress and areas of concern.
The ED will manage his Team to provide oversight and monitoring of the EPC Contractor's construction activities on Site, including but not limited to:
* By conducting regular construction meetings with the EPC Contractor on site to review progress and performance
* By the identification, recording and follow-up of defects and omissions reporting
* Conduct regular Construction Risk Management and Lessons Learned workshops
* Support to the EHSS Director in monitoring the proper implementation of the EHSS Management Plan on Site.
* Review and validation of regular construction forecasting provided by the EPC Contractor.
* Review of EPC Contractor's weekly/monthly progress reporting
* Elaboration of weekly construction progress reports.
* Review and validation of EPC Contractor's Punch List.
* By measuring progress against milestone or productivity KPI's
The ED shall manage his Team to provide oversight and monitoring of the EPC Contractor's commissioning activities on Site, including but not limited to:
* Review and approval of Commissioning Plans and the specific commissioning procedures and protocols before the commencement of the respective commissioning activities, in accordance to the Project Documents, state of the art and good engineering practices.
* Review and approval of all commissioning results in accordance to the approved General Commissioning Plan and the specific commissioning procedures and protocols.
* Issuance of the respective Commissioning Completion certificates
* Coordination and management of regular commissioning meetings with the EPC Contractor.
* On site monitoring of all commissioning works by the EPC Contractor and its subcontractors, from Mechanical Completion to Initial Acceptance.
* Review and validation of regular commissioning forecasts provided by the EPC Contractor.
* Elaboration of regular commissioning progress reports.
* Review and validation of Reliability Tests and Performance Tests.
* Education - Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in technical, engineering and management disciplines. Additional, complementary qualifications and professional qualifications and training will be an asset to underpin the seniority of the role.
* Minimum of 15+ years of relevant work experience
* Strong organizational and time management skills.
* Excellent knowledge and proficiency with the Microsoft office suite and software tools
* Working knowledge of SAP, Primavera P6, Deltek Acumen is desirable
* Excellent oral and written English proficiency is a must.
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.