Process Modeling Engineer
Job description / Role
Aramco energizes the world economy.
Aramco occupies a unique position in the global energy industry. We are the world's largest producer of hydrocarbons (oil and gas), with the lowest upstream carbon intensity of any major producer.
With our significant investment in technology and infrastructure, we strive to maximize the value of the energy we produce for the world along with a commitment to enhance Aramco's value to society.
Headquartered in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and with offices around the world, we combine market discipline with a generations' spanning view of the future, born of our nine decades experience as responsible stewards of the Kingdom's vast hydrocarbon resources. This responsibility has driven us to deliver significant societal and economic benefits to not just the Kingdom, but also to a vast number of communities, economies, and countries that rely on the vital and reliable energy that we supply.
We are one of the most profitable companies in the world, as well as amongst the top five global companies by market capitalization.
Aramco is seeking a Process Modeling Engineer to join the Fuels & Chemicals R&D Division of the Research & Development Center (R&DC) at KAUST. The Fuels & Chemicals R&D Division is responsible for the development of new and improved technologies in the areas of hydrocarbon processing, refining and petrochemicals.
The Process Modeling Engineer's primary role is to perform process modeling for conventional and new refining and petrochemical process schemes using software packages such as Aspen Plus, Aspen HYSYS, and Petro-SIM; as well as for conducting capital cost estimation and techno-economic assessments of R&D projects.
This position offers a unique opportunity to develop new process models and configurations, which are key to the development and support of new refining and petrochemical technologies, from concept through the commercialization stages.
- Apply process modeling expertise to support R&D projects throughout the technology development process, from concept to commercialization.
- Utilize state-of-the-art modeling tools and simulation software to support process design and optimization, scaling up of technologies from R&D into deployment.
- Create innovative process configurations that enhance the competitiveness of R&D projects.
- Support R&D teams to optimize process design and reduce capital cost.
- Conduct techno-economic analysis and benchmarking of R&D projects against commercial technologies.
- Analyze the carbon footprint and energy intensity of new and existing refining and petrochemical processes; and suggest process improvements to reduce the carbon footprint and enhance energy efficiency.
- Find creative solutions to technical problems, both working individually and within a team.
- Liaise with business stakeholder and engineering teams within Aramco.
- Master degree in Chemical Engineering, a PhD degree is preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in the refining and/or petrochemicals industries, including at least five years in process modeling and techno-economic assessment.
- Highly proficient in chemical process modeling using Aspen Plus and/or Aspen HYSYS.
- Experienced in refinery and petrochemical flowsheeting (PFD and P&ID), and equipment sizing and capital cost estimation.
- Highly skilled in developing mass and energy balances using various analytical techniques and calculation methods.
- Knowledgeable about standard refining and petrochemical processes (e.g. fluid catalytic cracking, hydrocracking, reforming), and utilities processes.
- Proven ability to conduct detailed techno-economic assessments of R&D projects.
- Experience with R&D projects, process development, lifecycle analysis, and/or scale up is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the capability to work effectively across multiple functional departments.
Our high-performing employees are drawn by the challenging and rewarding professional, technical and industrial opportunities we offer, and are remunerated accordingly.
At Aramco, our people work on truly world-scale projects, supported by investment in capital and technology that is second to none. And because, as a global energy company, we are faced with addressing some of the world's biggest technical, logistical and environmental challenges, we invest heavily in talent development.
We have a proud history of educating and training our workforce over many decades. Employees at all levels are encouraged to improve their sector-specific knowledge and competencies through our workforce development programs - one of the largest in the world.
About the Company
Saudi Aramco is an integrated global energy enterprise. The company markets and exports crude oil, petroleum products, natural gas liquids and sulfur. It also ships crude oil worldwide through an affiliated company and participates in petroleum refining and marketing activities at home and abroad. Its overseas affiliates are in the United States, Egypt, the Philippines, the Republic of Korea and Japan.
Saudi Aramco's subsidiaries span the globe, with offices in Houston, Washington, New York, London, Leiden, Dubai, Singapore, Beijing, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Seoul.