Job description / Role
Reporting into the Regional Engineering Manager, the Service Manager is the first line of operational management level in their respective depot.
In this highly autonomous role, the Service Manager will lead the team of Service Engineers to ensure operational, technical and financial performance targets are met for their assigned depot.
This will include service improvement and any associated financial budgetary oversight while constantly seeking improvements to drive operational excellence. The role holder will also develop and implement plans to ensure that projects and repairs are delivered on time and on budget.
The Service Manager will also play an active part in strengthen our existing customer relationships by providing expert advice and servicing their customers to an extremely high standard. They will also support the wider business teams by identifying opportunities for additional, repeat or new business.
This is a hands-on role working on a variety of powered access equipment working on site and off site. It is based in the depot but will also require travel to sites when required.
• Manage the operational technical service functions across the assigned geographical region to ensure project plans and timescales are met
• Drive, implement the operational excellence programme to ensure continual improvements throughout the Engineering department
• Monitor operational and financial data and review against agreed forecasts and targets
• Implement technical strategy to deliver the high-quality fleet reliability and service to our customers
• Produce monthly service schedule and organise workload of engineers to ensure all work is completed in accordance within agreed timescales
• Identify, plan, procure and logistically manage the fleet, tools and materials to service demand
• Maintain fleet performance and appearance as per manufacturer and company guidelines
• Produce month-end reports and analysis such as machine reliability, breakdown and performance and inspection for senior management review. Provide recommendations for improvements where necessary
• Ensure pre-delivery inspections (PDI) of each machine is carried out at depot or on site as required, and is in conformance with manufacturers specification and company policy
• Lead the required activity to customer breakdowns to ensure prompt and considered response to the despatch of mobile service engineers
• Establish safety and security procedures. Ensures that all health and safety legislation is adhered to
• Support the Regional Engineering Manager with recruitment and selection of engineering staff
• Day-to-day service management of the technical service teams
• Ensure performance of all staff achieves agreed objectives
• Identify training and development needs of service engineer staff and provide training and development in line with achievement of individual, depot and corporate objectives
• Extensive technical knowledge within the powered access, heavy plant, construction or engineering industry sector
• Experienced Service Manager with an in-depth understanding of global standard operating procedures and governance
• Must have a successful track record in hands on experience and be able to demonstrate highly effective engineering skills with hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical, mechanical and diesel engines
• Ability to analyse data, diagnose root cause engineering issues and take action to deliver sustained improvement
• Understanding of business planning activities including cost management and cost recovery, resource management and organisational design
• Costs control and financial knowledge
• Must be fully conversant with Health & Safety legislation
• Must have previous experience of managing engineering teams and motivating employees to perform as a team
• A clean driving licence
About the Company
Established in 1996, Rapid is the Middle East leader in powered access equipment rental & sale, and part of Europe’s largest powered access rental company, Lavendon Group plc.
At Rapid, we offer wide range of MEWP’s (Mobile Elevating Work Platforms), which offer a number of features making them particularly suitable for different types of applications.
- Steel Erection and construction
- Lighting and electromechanical maintenance
- Industrial and building maintenance
- Signage and Events
- Outside Broadcasting
- Telecommunications maintenance
- Facilities Management
- Airport, Ship and Highway Maintenance
As members of the team committed to providing strength on the ground and performance in the air we work with a simple business philosophy ’’Your success is ours’’.