Job description / Role
• The employee will be part of a technology team at the Air Products Technology Center in Dhahran Techno Valley (DTV) in Saudi Arabia.
• This individual with be a Technical Expert in chemical sciences and experienced with R&D collaboration and Technology Commercialization activities in the region supporting Air Products’ regional and global businesses.
• The primary role will be to work closely with universities, customers, and research institutions in the Middle East in brining potential R&D collaborations with Air Products R&D Team for Technology Advancements in the center and also be a focal point of centers GM in communicating with DTV, universities and other external stakeholders.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Act as a focal point of contact in Technology communication with internal and external stakeholders of Air Products Technology Center and develop an effective communication and information transfer between parties
• Assist R&D manager and GM of the Technology Center in identifying and developing new projects, economic analysis, end market, fundraising, etc
• Liaise with academic, research institutions and key stakeholders to identify potential R&D collaborations of interest and technology to commercialize to support region SME
• Work as a powerful tool to speed up R&D process and to maximize the value for benefits of the company in terms of early transfer of useful findings and technology
• Manage a portfolio of collaborations projects and Lead R&D team in facilitating potential R&D collaborations and troubleshooting in the collaboration process
• Develop strategy, policies, and agreements for contract and collaborative collaboration and contract research projects in this region
• Monitor collaboration projects in every stage and support in terms of guidance in developing high-level scope and proposals, develop strategy and route map, support in negotiation and IP license agreements
• Support R&D team in the technology commercialization process, business and risk analysis and troubleshooting in launching products
• Engage with regional start-up and entrepreneurship activities for the benefits of Air Products business
• Support in potentially utilizing academic resources in internships and access equipment for the benefits of Air Products R&D teams
• Assist R&D manager and GM in Centers Annual Assessment process and coordinate with DTVC in the evaluation including organizing Technology Programs and networking events in the center
• Manage intellectual assets, license agreements, commercialized products in the market
• Responsible for supporting R&D team in identifying technology gaps, designing / optimizing new/existing materials including filing patents
• Responsible for report preparation and presentations to promote Air Products technologies
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• A Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Material Science, Industrial Chemistry, or related technical field
• Previous experience in bridging the gap between universities and company in this region and facilitating R&D collaborations
• Understanding of the process and requirements in IP licensing agreements and negotiations
• A minimum of 2 years of experience in technology transfer with knowledge of commercialization of technology process
• A self-motivated, pro-active individual who can work independently as well as in team environment
• Previous R&D or Industry work industrial experience in H2 production, Gas separations / Purifications, and CO2 capture and Utilization will be an advantage
• Ability to effectively coordinate with the R&D team as well as all levels in the Air Products organization
• Strong, pro-active leadership qualities which can overcome obstacles through building effective work relationships between University and Company
• Excellent communication skills to effectively interact with internal and external parties
• Ability to clearly establish and articulate objectives and expectations
• Job incumbent is expected to have excellent communication, building work relationship and leadership skills, good engineering problem – solving skills, excellent interpersonal, planning and organizational skills
• Experience in effective coordination and maintain relationships with regional universities and Companies
• Experience in evaluating research projects, due diligence, market opportunity
• Experience in commercializing technologies, IP Licence agreement, patenting including negotiation and troubleshooting skills
• Mentor research team members in R&D collaborations and contribute to commercializing technology process
• Ability to present commercialization case studies and presentation skills
• Ability to operate independently and as a part of a high-performing team
• Fluency in written and spoken English is a necessity
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.