Job description / Role
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU), established in 1976 as a federal institution with a focus on intellect, culture, and science, is the oldest and leading university in the UAE. Known for its pioneering spirit, it is one of the top universities in the region, and has a vast and influential alumni network of more than 65.000 graduates.
Its pioneering nature is now once more underscored by its strategic project The University of the Future. In line with the United Arab Emirates Centennial Plan 2071 to provide the best education in the world, UAEU aims to realize global eminence and to become the University of the Future in the region. Hence, UAEU launched the "University of the Future" Project, a multi-phase project that re-envisions the future of UAEU in becoming a world-class, university of the future, responding to the challenges and opportunities stemming from digitalization, the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR), technological innovations, globalization, and major societal challenges. In doing so, its aspiration is to be recognized as "the first world-class university in the country; among the first 20 in Asia; and among the first 200 globally" by 2030.
The College of Business and Economics (CBE), AACSB accredited since 2000, redefined its strategy, accordingly, reflecting its ambition to Â«be, from a business angle, a catalyst for technologically-driven innovation in relation with the digital economy and the 4IRÂ», and focusing on:
- Leadership, managerial, business and economic challenges in relation with the 4IR, the digital economy, technologically-driven innovation, and induced business-model innovation;
- Accelerated development of graduate education; and
- Strengthening corporate relations and internationalisation.
As part of this strategy, the CBE is now recruiting an Assistant / Associate Professor in Accounting Information Systems.
The ideal candidate will have a primary research and teaching interest in Accounting Information Systems. The position entails teaching at undergraduate and graduate level, strong engagement with practice and professionals. The Accounting Department, within which the position is located in CBE, is reputable for excellence in accounting education and research in the UAE and within the GCC and the MENA region. It aspires to be one of the leading global centers for accounting thought. The department is the only AACSB-Accounting Accredited department in GCC and MENA region. Our undergraduate and postgraduate programs provide the practical and theoretical knowledge necessary for navigating and providing leadership for the complex global world of business; and helps students develop the skills needed for life-long learning and for effective participation in organizations and society. Our faculty experts research a broad range of topics that provide insights into new ways of thinking and learning for accounting and society.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The appointed candidate will be expected to
- Develop and teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses in accounting (with emphasis on accounting information systems);
- Engage in innovative and technology-based approaches to learning and teaching;
- Publish high quality research in leading internationally recognized accounting journals;
- Participate in the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate research projects and/or dissertations;
- Participate in committees at the departmental, college and/or university levels as assigned;
- Actively engage in promoting the growth of the UAE University; and
- Perform administrative duties as assigned by the Department Chair and the College Dean
Requirements and Selection Criteria
- A PhD in Accounting from an internationally recognized university (with emphasis on accounting information systems);
- Strong commitment to excellence in teaching, curriculum development, and outcome assessment;
- Experience in teaching accounting information systems at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Demonstrated ability to publish in leading international accounting journals;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English;
- Very good interpersonal skills; and
- In addition to the above, professional qualification and experience in practice setting will be highly valued.
Please submit your application online. The application package should indicate how you meet the selection criteria, a detailed resume, teaching philosophy, courses taught, professional designations/expertise in marketing, and a brief description of current/future research activities. English is the language of instructions and communication in the CBE.
The review of applications will begin on February 3, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. To ensure that your application is considered, please, apply before the application review date.
A generous benefits package is offered to successful applicants, which includes a competitive tax-free salary that is determined according to rank and experience, yearly round-trip air tickets for the instructor and his/her family (spouse and up to three children), tuition support for children's schooling, a one-time settling-in allowance, free housing accommodation, free health care insurance, paid holidays and summer vacation, and an end-of-contract gratuity.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.