Job description / Role
The Chief Legal Officer is the head of the legal department and is responsible for the legal affairs of the entire institution.
This role includes providing legal counsel to the University Council /board of trustees, chancellor and vice chancellor and other senior management. CLO must possess strong initiative, as well as excellent management and leadership skills and strong business acumen.
• Developing and leading the legal strategy to promote and protect the University’s benefits.
• Developing and leading internal audit and corporate compliance programs.
• Overseeing the delivery of legal services and resources to accomplish the goals, strategies and priorities of the university.
• Maintaining proper interactions with the relevant local, state and federal governmental bodies, and legislatures.
• Advising the chancellor, vice chancellor and other senior management on a variety of issues
• Participating in the formulation of general management policy as a member of the Executive Management team.
• Managing a team of Counsels and other members of the Legal departments.
• Providing proactive legal assistance and advice on various legal issues like contracts, dispute resolution, government funding agreements, regulatory, employment, and governance.
• Working with other members on projects such as fundraising, policies and procedures, taxes, etc.
• Advising on minimal liability and legal exposure.
• Ensuring that the legal documents and other contractual documents are effectively drafted, reviewed, interpreted, and vetted.
• Taking decisive actions on various legal matters and assessing contentious and uncontroversial issues.
• Assessing and advising effectively to minimize and control risks and ensuring that the system, controls and processes are appropriate as relevant.
• Representing the university in ensuring the efficient handling and winning resolution of all negotiations and disputes.
• Advising and ensuring that all aspects and procedures are in compliance with the necessities of legislation involving data protection.
• Supervising, researching and analysing implication of case law, legislation, and regulatory matters that affect the university and reporting them back to the university council/board of trustees.
• Reviewing and rendering advice on the articles of association and laws in relation to the education entities governance and decision-making.
• Preparing draft agreements related to the daily activities or reviewing and giving comments on such draft agreements prepared by others.
• Handling issues arising with respect to governmental or regulatory authorities within the competence of the firm.
• Give advice on a broad range of legal and regulatory issues & Liaise with external counsel, when necessary.
Qualifications & Desired Skills
• Qualified Corporate Lawyer with at least 10 years of post-qualified UAE experience.
• Extensive knowledge of the applicable legislation governing the educational sector in the UAE.
• Excellent problem solving, analytical and organizational skills.
• Strong personality and drive.
• Self-driven and resourceful.
• Sound interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent command of both English and Arabic languages- written and spoken.
• Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
About the Company
Incepted in the late 70's, Ghobash Group has become one of the resilient business conglomerates in UAE. The privately-owned group has expanded to geographies across the Middle East, Asia, Africa and Europe through its diversified business arms.
Focused on growth through value-creation, Ghobash Group has advanced with successful milestones over the years in its business industries: Technology, Chemicals, Engineering, Oil & Gas, Water, Energy, Pharmaceutical, Retail, Trading and Real Estate.
CNS, GCG Office Imaging, Tawazon Chemical, E&I Emirates, GCG Engineering Services, Arabian Ethicals, Ataya Fashion, Prime Hospitality, and Makeen Properties. The Group has also formed Joint Ventures over the years such as Sahara Center sustaining its momentum of successful milestones throughout the years.
Sustainability, innovation, diversification, and ownership are amongst the key values the Group has been practicing for decades. Working with partners, who share the same values, the Group has added value throughout the years through profitable investment opportunities in both the private and public sectors.
In depth experience, combined with a granular knowledge of the regional economy, enables Ghobash Group to identify, and provide access to the best business opportunities across the region.
Committed to diversified growth, Ghobash Group is headquartered in the United Arab Emirates and services through its offices and factories in Saudi Arabia, Oman, India, Iraq, and Africa.
The Group values its people as family and its customers as long term partners. Embracing excellence yet keeping it personal is a key strength of the Group which is a characteristic that has not faded since its inception.
Driving success through its people and partners, with its diverse business arm, Ghobash group aims to continue to grow adding value with every opportunity, every transaction, every employee life, every partner business, every community across varied geographies.
Together we make a difference.