Job description / Role
Support and provide technical expertise/strategic/implementation programs for Buses Department to deliver sustained financial performance and offer award winning unique customer service levels for Dubai public transport and intercity services, and major special event transport services. Impart, coach and support Bus Department team of Director and managers towards developing a uniquely pragmatic and ‘hands-on’ entrepreneurial approach towards developing and implementing its public transport and intercity network, commercial charters and special event management.
• Provide advice on the development of strategic plans, objectives and key performance indicators for all activities and projects implemented by the Department in accordance with RTA vision, policy, rules and regulations.
• Facilitating Management Review on performance, progress towards the objectives & targets, programs etc and ensure the timely submission of management measurable objectives to the CEO
• Provide advice on an annual budget and forecast, monitor implementation, evaluate and recommend specific adjustments during the implementation to project needs.
• Advice on the selection of Department consultants and partners for strategic tenders.
• Conduct specialized and technical training for department staff and ensure the development of their skills and abilities.
• Review existing bus route performance and development of specific Route Development Plans with a view to exceed the planned patronage growth expectations and maximise customer focus, overall attractiveness and cost recovery rate of the public transport network as a whole and the bus network in particular.
• Follow up the implementation of committees and teams’ recommendations in the Department with concerned departments and sections.
• Develop implementation framework taking into account factors such as political sensibilities, social concerns, existing/planned infrastructure (including highway/railway infrastructure) and public transport demand projections. Particular attention will be focused on the ‘sale-ability/marketability’ of any planned route changes to each of the various stakeholders involved (including staff members) and to making best use of available technologies to cost effectively capture and apply market intelligence.
• Impart, coach and support Department managers to become competent in implementing and enhancing planned network delivery through pragmatic and ‘hands-on’ entrepreneurial approach. Where appropriate, managers will be guided in developing new concepts in delivering bus service to complement conventional bus services business plans.
• Identify productivity improvements in bus operations management and service delivery. Recommendations will relate to, but not be limited to, the following areas of interest: :
- Bus and crew scheduling including best use of Big Data to optimise solutions
- Safety management (including review of latest artificial intelligence applications)
- Bus service performance (eg timeliness and punctuality)
- Organisational structure appropriate to deliver strategic outputs
- Bus crew recruitment, retention and training
- Identification of any skill-gaps (and specific recommendations to remedy same).
- Review of key operational metrics (KPIs) having regard to best international practice (including engineering/ safety/financial management metrics).
- Effective application of fleet assets to non-scheduled services (e.g. private hire/events/contract services and support for World Expo 2020
• Provide an implementation road map for Expo 2020 operations with a view to adopt an entrepreneurial business approach to deliver the transport program whilst achieving a high level of customer satisfaction and high reliability of the services.
• Provide other strategic inputs and bench-marking of proven entrepreneurial business model in order to allow RTA to draw out the best of the various economic systems of regulation and supply of public bus services as practiced around the world.
• Perform other responsibilities associated with the position as appropriate.
AED 32000 per month inclusive of fixed allowances.
• Master in transportation/ engineering from a recognized university
• 10 years relevant work experience of which the last 5 years must be in a management position of a large transport or logistics organization.
• Knowledge in transportation planning, operations and engineering is desirable.
• Ability to analyze operational deficiencies and provide appropriate and effective improvement actions
• Competent in use of operational and financial indicators to measure and track performance and project implemented
• Ability to formulate business implementation plans to achieve project goals and targets
• Knowledgeable in industrial best practices and industrial norms of bus service operations
• Adaptability, strategic leadership, team work, focuses on results, developing organization talent.
• Highly analytical thinking with demonstrated talent for identifying, scrutinizing, improving, and streamlining complex work processes.
• Computer-literate performer with extensive software proficiency covering wide variety of applications.
• Exceptional listener and communicator who effectively conveys information verbally and in writing.
• Resourceful team player who excels at building trusting relationships with customers and colleagues.
• Flexible team player who thrives in environments requiring ability to effectively prioritize and juggle multiple concurrent projects.
• Innovative problem-solver who can generate workable solutions and resolve complaints.
• Goal-driven leader who maintains a productive climate and confidently motivates, mobilizes, and coaches employees to meet high performance standards.
• Results-driven achiever with exemplary planning and organizational skills, along with a high degree of detail orientation.
About the Company
The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) came into formation in November 2005. It is responsible for planning and executing transport and traffic projects in Dubai, preparing legislation and strategic plans, planning and constructing the Dubai Metro, developing other integrated solutions of road systems and marine networks that are safe and in line with the city’s economic development plans and the highest international standards.