Job description / Role
- The Instructional Design Unit (IDU) is located within the Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) at the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) offering instructional strategy and design in online/blended modalities, digital media creation and course production in service of and support to the University's digital teaching and learning initiatives. The CETL team works with UAEU colleges, academic departments, and faculty-initiated projects, as well as grant-funded Course Transformation initiatives.
- The role of the Digital teaching and Learning Designer within CETL is to manage the process of course design and content to support faculty and subject matter experts in end-to-end course creation work.
- From articulating learning objectives to importing and setting up content in the course platform (edX and Blackboard) for online delivery, this position is expected to evolve with the needs and overall demand for services that the CETL team offers to the UAEU teaching community
- This position reports to the Coordinator of the IDU. The ideal candidate will work collaboratively to support the development and production of digital teaching and learning projects across multiple learning platforms, such as Blackboard, edX, and Open edX.
- The Digital Teaching and Learning Designer will design and project manage all aspects of course building. This includes collaborating with CETL's Multimedia Producers to inform the pre-production and post-production processes in creating digital media materials. Focusing on the end product and overall learning experience for each course project, the Digital Learning Designer will work to ensure courses meet the agreed upon specifications, and standards of quality for online learning
- At least a Bachelor's Degree, certifications in digital learning design or related field preferred.
- Experience of working for higher education institution is a plus.
- Experience working with state-of-the-art digital content creation tools, other educational technology tools, and multiple learning management systems.
- At least five years of hands-on experience creating, editing, and launching instructional content in multiple platforms (Blackboard and edX, would be an advantage).
- Familiarity with instructional design models/frameworks (such as ADDIE) and educational media production cycles.
- Experience collaborating with others to scope, develop, and deliver online learning experiences.
- Working knowledge of the online/blended instructional space, including online teaching and learning, open courses and mixed modalities.
- Basic understanding of standard web markup languages and best practices (HTML/CSS).
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- An adaptable mindset to work as part of a growing team in the shifting landscape of the institution and higher education in general; a willingness to work with others and an appetite for learning by doing.
- Flexibility, imagination, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Video / Audio production and editing knowledge with software such as Final Cut Pro, Camtasia and Audacity
- Ability to write effective copy, instructional text, audio and video scripts
- Learns quickly and responds effectively to changing operational needs and circumstances
- Administrative experience with learning management systems (Blackboard and edX an advantage)
- Fluent in English
- Fluency in Arabic language is a plus but no mandatory.
- Work as part of the CETL's IDU team to support members of the UAEU teaching community (faculty and project stakeholders) on the development of synchronous and asynchronous digital learning content by:
• Guiding stakeholders in the course analysis and design process
• Translating course design documents into digital learning experiences, using Instructional Design models on various online platforms (e.g. edX and Blackboard)
• Developing an inventory of features to support learning goals across various learning management systems
• Informing stakeholders using pedagogically sound choices related to course delivery
• Horizon scan and produce fact-based suggestions of growth for the University's digital learning offerings
- Support continuous improvement for CETL by defining and measuring efficacy of CETL-developed teaching and learning assets and applications and proposing recommendations for revisions based on desired learning outcomes and learner interaction data.
- Support CETL team in defining and refining project workflows and best practices.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.
Digital Teaching and Learning, Senior Specialist
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
|Al Ain||10 Feb|
NSI & Bluefin Talent
Digital Teaching and Learning Developer
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
|Al Ain||10 Feb|
Leading and Development Coordinator
UI / UX Designer
Connected Group ME