Job description / Role
The Instructional Design Unit (IDU) is located within the Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) at the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU). The Coordinator of the Digital Teaching and Learning in IDU is a leader who has demonstrated success in the building and management of multi-faceted teams. This individual is knowledgeable in the area of online/Blended instructional strategies on open online platforms such as edX and has a proven record as a program/project manager in the instructional context of higher education. As the digital teaching and learning coordinator, this individual has knowledge of the instructional design and digital development processes as well as demonstrated experience with the actual production of higher education instructional materials, from multi-media artifacts (audio, video, animations) to teaching and learning materials (learning objects).
The IDU's coordinator of Digital Teaching & Learning oversees a growing team of digital learning designers and educational multimedia producers. The coordinator is accountable for all digital teaching and learning projects and supports team members and university partners in each phase of courses and online academic programs building to ensure the success of digital learning projects, edX courses, and academic programs across UAEU. Focusing on system-level processes, the coordinator promotes effective practices across digital course development projects by helping to optimize workflow and project communication.
The coordinator's role includes significant and active collaboration both internally with multimedia production groups on the digital teaching and learning team and edX platform administrators, along with external on-campus project partners from collaborating colleges and departments at UAEU. The digital teaching and learning coordinator takes on the role of an entrepreneurial leader who jointly with the CETL leadership develops the future of the IDU through careful planning, proactive stakeholder management, flexibility, and positioning within the environment of a large research and teaching university.
- Team management, supervision, resource planning, and leadership; planning for development of the Digital Teaching & Learning team to meet diversified digital teaching and learning project demands.
- Digital teaching and learning management through supporting functions across colleges and academic departments, interfacing with faculty and instructors in strategic online/blended modality instructional materials projects. This includes standards-based project documentation, third party relationships, and evangelizing innovative and transformative approaches to UAEU digital instructional needs on online open platforms.
- Scaling processes and building system-based approach to support each program in Analyzing clients' learning-related challenges to develop a high-level vision for the learning experience.
- Guiding faculty members and instructors in their development of learning objectives, assessment strategies, content maps, activity types, and learner interactions.
- Collaborating across internal and project stakeholders to build courses based on best practices in digital teaching and learning.
- Providing best practice insights and standardized ways of working for maximum efficiency
- Horizon scan and produce fact-based suggestions of growth for the Universities' digital teaching and learning offerings
- Representing the digital teaching and learning in presentations, publishing, dissemination of knowledge and findings in interfacing organizations, conferences, and fora.<b>
- Master's Degree in a related field required.
- 5+ years of proven program/project management success in the instructional context of online/blended teaching and learning in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience of team building and leadership of multi-disciplinary teams.
- At least 5+ years of experience developing successful online and blended courses within higher education on open online platforms .
- Demonstrated experience in instructional media, planning and creation; in-depth understanding of multiple instructional design models.
- Applied knowledge of online/blended instructional space, instructional strategies and design frameworks (e.g. ADDIE, Quality Matters, OLC).
- Advanced organizational, time management and oral & written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work in the complex environment of a growing office in the shifting landscape of the institution and higher education.
- Flexibility, imagination, and creative problem solving.
- Administrative experience of open online courses on open platforms like edX.
- Practical experience using industry standard Video and Audio editing software
- Fluent in both English and Arabic, would be an advantage
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.