ELL Coordinator - September 2023
Job description / Role
About the Role
Jumeirah College is a GEMS Premium Secondary School which delivers the National Curriculum for England, offering the full range of GCSE and A level courses. Our student body is a dynamic international community of over 1,100 students from over 59 nationalities. We take pride in the development of the whole child, recognising the importance of developing cultural and global awareness. We have a thriving enriched curriculum which provides a diverse range of activities, initiatives and charitable endeavours that both engage our student body and embed our philosophy of global awareness and world citizenship. For more information please see our website .
College vision: Our vision is to create a vibrant learning community that nurtures happy, confident and accomplished students who, through a commitment to academic and personal excellence, progress beyond limits.
The College has been repeatedly judged to be Outstanding in inspections. Although non-selective at admission, our students achieve exceptional exam results which compare to top UK schools. In 2022 99% of GCSE results were 9-4 out of which 55% 9, and at A level over 55% of all grades were A*/A with over 86% A*/B. This success enables our students to move on to the very top universities around the world, including Cambridge, UCL, Stanford, Monash and Toronto.
As one of the leading schools in the Middle East, Jumeirah College is the first-choice school for many families. The school is a member of BSME and COBIS. The success of the school has been repeatedly recognised with Jumeirah College being nominated for a series of awards, including being shortlisted as 'International School of the Year' by the TES.
Jumeirah College is an inclusive school.
About Your Benefits
As an ELL Coordinator you will work with both teachers and students to support academic and social English language development. When working with teachers you will provide instructional expertise on the integration of ELL best practices into everyday classroom environments. You will use English Language Proficiency assessments and progress monitoring tools to develop, implement and monitor comprehensive ELL programs. Programs involve push in/pull out, small group, and individual student support.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advocate for the academic and personal/social needs of English Language Learners.
- Monitor the academic progress for all ELL students
- Identify students who require intensive English Language support and determine the level and nature of services for each student.
- Support classroom teachers in implementing ELL instructional best practices that support the rigour of the British Curriculum.
- Provide intervention and support within the classroom (especially Literacy and STREAM related courses)
- Plan and collaborate with teachers to design and implement engaging cross-curricular instruction that leads to English language fluency in all content areas.
- Attend weekly planning sessions with classroom teachers to support lesson planning, projects, and small group instruction. Suggest accommodations and appropriate lesson structures to support ELL students.
- Conduct, organize, and analyze on-going assessments of student performance using multiple assessment tools.
- Assist and support the development of a successful learning environment for ELL students in each classroom by providing school-wide training around language acquisition, planning needs and learning goals, differentiated instruction, and classroom practices that support student success.
- Model best teaching practices for teachers with the goal of developing their capacity to support specialized instruction, differentiation, and classroom accommodations to support ELL students.
- Assist the development of curriculum to support ELL learners and facilitate their access to the world-class education offered by Jumeirah College.
- Meet regularly with school leaders and other professionals as needed to discuss student progress and the performance of ELL students.
- Potential to lead on IELTS, or iGCSE English Language provision for ELL students.
The successful applicant will be required to have the following:
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree, advanced degree preferred. Must possess the required credentials to teach in your home country or state which may include a Bachelor's degree in Education (or a Bachelor's degree in another area in conjunction with certification through an approved teacher preparation program) and passing scores on state-required tests. Must have a minimum of 2 years of teaching experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Subject matter postgraduate work (Master's or Ph.D.) is preferred or a combination of subject matter undergraduate degree with a Master's in Education. Knowledge of Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills (BICS) vs Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP) is preferred. Knowledge of WIDA/LAS Links assessments or other language assessments. Expertise in structured English language immersion programs (SIOP) is highly preferred.
Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Critically, an applicant must possess a high GPA in his/her major, excellent recommendations, experience working with children and be open to new ideas in teaching.
About the Company
GEMS Education is a pioneering education company with an international network of award winning K-12 schools. Over the past 55 years GEMS has grown from one school to being a truly global company with one incredible mission â€“ to make quality education available to every student. Over 20,000 education professionals unlock the potential of over 250,000 students across 14 countries each and every day, preparing children of all ages for real world success.