Head of Credit, Corporate Banking
Commercial Bank of Dubai (CBD)
Job description / Role
Operating in the UAE for over 50 years, CBD manages the financial requirements of some of the largest corporates and businesses operating in the country, driving the UAE economy. Over the years, CBD has transformed into a progressive and modern banking institution winning multiple awards for its digital initiatives, credit cards, bank accounts, mobile app features and services.
CBD has been recognized as the number one bank in the UAE on the Forbes list of The World's Best Banks 2022.
As we continue to build upon our successes, we are looking for ambitious individuals who are passionate about the banking and finance industry and the markets in which CBD operates. Just as important to us is your ability to demonstrate a talent for dealing with people - your colleagues and our customers - and delivering service that really goes the extra mile.
This senior role is required to manage and maintain the Credit appraisal process for Large Corporates.
Responsibilities will include:
- Review credit proposals to ensure completeness of supporting information / documents and compliance with Bank's requirements.
- Occasionally visiting clients to understand client's business model and requirements, and accordingly recommending financing solutions
- Conduct proper due diligence as to identification of gaps, if any in terms of disclosures/ information in proposals
- Ensure that Credit proposals are complete and accurate and the credit Analysis covers all significant factors (Strengths & Risks) for proper decision making
- Approval of ad-hoc credit requests within an agreed credit risk delegation framework
- Presenting credit proposals to senior sanctioners and credit committee
- Manage portfolio of c.500 large corporate, government related entities, and mid-size corporates with approximate book size of AED25bn
- Responsible for review of all syndication deals where CBD is participating or leading
- Responsible for maintaining the asset quality of the designated portfolio through interim reviews, annual reviews and on-going monitoring and control, and escalation of issues as may be necessary
- Serve as the second line of defence and escalate any breaches of policies and procedures, credit risk excesses and past-dues and related matters to coverage and other stakeholders
- Secondary point of contact for the assigned portfolio and liaise with relationship and sales teams, product experts and portfolio management, and support functions including legal, compliance and operations
- Subject matter expert for fundamental credit risk queries and provides support for any requests from regulators, auditors and other professionals
- Where required, join coverage units for conference calls and meetings with client representatives - treasurer, finance director and CFO
- Communicate with senior management to address any credit queries raise by Committee members
- Managing direct reports - training and career development
- Attend credit committees and senior management meetings where required
Other Management Responsibilities:
- Management and oversight over Triple C process (internal early risk identification process) and present such customers to senior management.
- Active participation in process review - for both post and pre-disbursement and suggest improvements
- Ensure that subordinates maintain proper records for receipt, processing & disposal of credit proposals/ JETS for monitoring reports, internal/ external requirements
- Organising and conducting trainings for credit analysts and business support staff
- Preferred - Masters of Business Administration (MBA) from reputed Business School
- Preferred - CFA Charter Holder, FRM Certification (from GARP)
- Strong working knowledge of Financial Modeling, of business software applications, particularly spreadsheets.
- 12 year's Banking/ finance experience with min of 5 years in the Credit function
- Good understanding of banking operations, Bank's policies, procedures, guidelines, statutory requirements, market conditions.
- Good understanding of regional markets
- Expert in credit appraisals, due diligence, financial modeling
- Documentation expertise, good understanding of LMA, ISDA etc.
- High level of interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent report writing skills
About the Company
In 1969, when we at Commercial Bank of Dubai started out little did we know that sheer grit and determination would get us where we are today. An Emiri Decree issued by His Highness the Late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, the founder of modern Dubai, laid the cornerstone of Commercial Bank of Dubai. We started out as a joint venture of Commerzbank, Chase Manhattan Bank and Commercial Bank of Kuwait. A minority stake was held by a few UAE businessmen.
By 1982, little more than a decade later, we evolved into a National Public Shareholding company. A feat complimented by an exponential increase in the capital base and mammoth restructuring of our operations. The feather in the cap came when the Government of Dubai became a key shareholder.
Over the decades, we have transformed ourselves into a progressive and modern banking institution. We are supported by a sturdy financial base and reigned by a strong and stable management. The proof of which lies with our customers who have stood by us over the years.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Head of Banking and Partnerships