Job description / Role
Head of Operations & Support Services
Make a difference every day
The Job Opportunity
The role reports to the Contract Manager, Serco ME.
The purpose of this position is to manage and coordinate all facilities operations and support services across the Middle East Logistics & Base Services Contract (MELABS) on behalf of the Contract General Manager.
This position will work with department Heads and key support staff providing guidance and direction as required. The position will also be responsible for ensuring compliance with financial, commercial and service delivery requirements as well as risk mitigation.
This position oversees the facilities maintenance and support services of the MELABS contract and is responsible to ensure that Serco meets its obligations to the Commonwealth of Australia Department of Defence (The Client) and meets or exceeds agreed performance standards in the fields of facilities infrastructure maintenance, grounds maintenance, infrastructure projects, and logistical support services.
The position will direct, assist, support and advise line managers, supervisors, coordinators, & leading hands, to meet deliverables of various Contract Work Breakdown Dictionaries (CWBDs)/service lines.
- The Head of Operations and Support Services is key participant of the leadership team on the MELABS contract, and therefore is responsible for the safety and wellbeing department staff, and subcontractors, together with the financial and operational performance of the department.
- Leadership and management of infrastructure, faciliites and support services, including Serco staff and subcontractors.
- Management of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all services.
- Periodic review of the SOPs to ensure their veracity.
- Management and oversight of the Quality Management System (QMS), and Work Health & Safety (WH&S) system supporting the delivery of the Services.
- Provide direction to subordinate staff for the resolution of issues, compliance issues and potential problems related to operations.
- Designated Deputy Contract General Manager. Perform applicable duties in the absence of the Contract GM.
- Management of infrastructure, facilities and grounds maintenance services.
- Management of infrastructure and facilities construction and maintenance projects.
- Management of support services including logistics, procurement, transport, asset hire, warehousing, ground re-fuelling and waste removal services.
- Meeting the Key Performance Indicators;
- Submission of all reports specific to facilities maintenance operations and support services in accordance with specified/agreed timeframes; and
- Conduct periodic review of all subcontractors' performance including compliance with host nation and Australian regulations, as required
- Maintain authority and accountability for the day-to-day operations
- Ensure all staff understand and comply with Serco values of Care, Trust, Innovation and Pride.
- Manage the operations of the business in accordance with Serco's strategic plan, with an emphasis on the development, review & standardisation of policies and procedures.
- Provide Governance and Assurance activities to monitor the compliance of service delivery & quality management activities.
- Ensure daily operations adhere to the Serco Management System (SMS).
- Management of the Risk Management program within the service lines.
- Liaise with clients, staff and external parties in matters relating to service delivery.
- Meet agreed budgets (commitments) and business planning outcomes.
- Engage with the Leadership team on the activities, developments and changes within the services covered under the contract and impact upon the provision of those services.
- Liaise with customer representatives on an appropriate and regular basis.
- Seek new business opportunities and improve profitability of the Contract and seek direction and approval from the Contract General Manager before committing to undertaking these services.
- Ensure the timely and satisfactory management and resolution of complaints from customers and the grievances of employees, in accordance with Serco's policies.
- Regularly meet with line managers, supervisors, coordinators, team leaders or leading hands to keep them informed of decisions affecting their areas of operation and to ensure a uniform application of Serco's policies and delivery of services.
- Carry out formal performance appraisals with each subordinate bi-annually & annually, reviewing performance against agreed business goals.
- Manage subcontractors and suppliers to ensure they are meeting their obligations to supply goods and services and are invoicing Serco fairly and accurately.
- Carry out other tasks from time to time as directed by the Contract Manager.
What we are looking for in our candidates:
- Have led a diverse, multi-cultured, multi-disciplined workforce to achieve high performance standards and quality of services.
- Thorough experience of all aspects of quality, and occupational health and safety issues particularly as they apply to facilities management.
- Through experience using Project Management Planning tools.
- A strong working knowledge of procurement and supply chain management.
- Knowledge of international best practice in logistics and facilities management
- Proficient in Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Adaptable to use company systems as required to the operations.
- Must hold a NV1 Security Clearance issued by the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency, or an equivalent security clearance issued by the relevant Security Agency from a Five Eyes (FVEY) nation (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States) that permits the holder to access information up to and including SECRET.
- Minimum of 8-years' experience of managing facility maintenance operations, civil works (including projects) & procurement/logistics service delivery within a commercial or government environment. Professional experience in these fields within the UAE will be highly regarded.
- Minimum of 5-years' experience in managing multi-disciplined people managers in the fields of facilities management/civil projects and procurement/logistics.
- Degree holder in a relevant business or management discipline
- A technical qualification in civil works or project management will be highly regarded
- Proven experience in managing a P&L (+25m AED p.a.)
Working with Serco
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has important role to play.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Take pride in what you do
Serco is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities and is committed to ensuring the safety of all of its employees through its Zero Harm initiative.
About the Company
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Serco customers are looking for expertise in managing their people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise economic decision makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver quality services directly to the public.
Serco supplies to governments, government enterprise, agencies and companies who seek a trusted outsourcing partner with a solid track-record of service excellence. Serco people offer operational, logistical and technical expertise in the Transport, Justice and Immigration, Defence, Education and Healthcare industries as well as in the commercial sectors of Facilities Management.
Serco Middle East have been in the Region since 1947, starting out delivering Air Traffic Control Services in Bahrain; a service we are proudly still running today and have expanded to include many other Airports in the region.
We have expanded significantly since that time across the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. We have been supporting the RTA to operate the Dubai Metro since 2009, are preparing to launch the flagship Saudi Arabia Passenger Rail service from Riyadh to Qassim in 2016. We deliver Facility Management services to both Cleveland Clinic and Healthpoint Hospitals in Abu Dhabi, large-scale medical facilities in Saudi Arabia and a range of educational and commercial properties in the UAE. We also deliver postgraduate education to Officers in the Qatar Armed Forces through the Joaan Bin Jassim Joint Command and Staff College in Doha.
Focusing on our core values, and creating a positive environment for employees to thrive, we look forward to a bright future as we continue to grow with the region.