Job description / Role
An established Port and Terminal Operations organization in the UAE have a requirement for a HSE Manager to join them on a permanent basis.
The HSE Manager will be responsible for leading the development of a new centralized HSE department within the organization.
- Design, implementation, communication and coordination of all environmental, health, and safety programs for the organization.
- Develop and provide technical and administrative directions on all HSE decisions, which bear critical importance to overall objectives, operations, and profitability.
- Direct the resources and activities of the Department to support the HSE programs by providing advice and guidance to the Senior Management team.
- Continually maintain an appropriate level of awareness, knowledge and preparedness across the Department to create a culture that prioritizes effective HSE and balances overall associated costs.
- Review internal HSE policies and practices to ensure they are current and appropriate; conduct hazard and risk assessments and change existing, or develop new policies and practices from these assessments for implementation.
- Control, regulate and enforce all rules and regulations.
- Ensure compliance with legal and other regulatory requirements, including relevant international conventions.
- Coordinate the activities of the various Government institutions and other Agencies.
- Serve as an expert within the field of HSE when called upon to address regulatory agency compliance issues and third party safety & liability issues.
- Responsible for the staffing and directing the HSE Department, including the management of all Field Safety Managers and staff Training, planning, assigning and directing work and addressing complaints and resolving issues.
- Responsible for the development of an annual budget recommendations and implementation.
- Provide regular written reports and updates to the Senior Management Team and to the General Manager.
- Assist project team in investigating all incidents and ensure proper records are completed and submitted.
- Implement corrective actions as it relates to the incidents and ensure “lessons learned” are communicated throughout the organization and are incorporated into the program, as necessary.
- Devise, supervise, and coordinate training programs to staff and all stakeholders which will increase proficiency in safe practices and promote HSE consciousness.
- Organize and actively participate in safety meetings across Company locations to review HSE performance and policies
- Obtain ISO/OSHAS and other relevant certifications.
- Conduct site visits/audits.
- Participate/attend industry related conferences when requested to do so.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in Safety, Engineering or related technical field with relevant professional diplomas/certifications.
- Minimum Fifteen (15) years of industrial health safety and environmental experience at Senior Management level, of which at least 5 years in a similar position.
- Must possess advanced knowledge of industrial practices, regulatory agency requirements and standards with a strong Marine background and have worked in Ports and Terminal Operations.
- Communication Skills - Must have very good written and oral communications. Required to speak effectively before groups of Senior Management, customers contractors, and/or employees of the organization.
- Computer Skills - Excellent computer skills required. Should be capable of defining HSE systems requirements.
- Reasoning Ability - Use of basic reasoning, thinking “on your feet”, and ability to resolve issues quickly. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule format.
- Ability to make good judgments and render good decisions
About the Company
Swisslinx Middle East is a leading executive search firm in the region. We specialise in recruitment solutions, talent acquisition and career advice across a wide range of markets within the financial services sector.
We are located in the heart of the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) which gives us unrivalled access to onshore Middle Eastern clients and candidates. We also partner with clients in London, Zurich, Geneva, Zug, Frankfurt and Paris and have been instrumental in establishing onshore Middle Eastern and Emerging Market teams.
We believe in building long-term relationships with our clients helping them develop successful, sustainable businesses. Transparency, trust and discretion drive the way in which we mediate between clients and candidates and ensure we consistently deliver results.