Job description / Role
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Principal and under the direction of the School Science Department, the School Science Lab Assistant performs a variety of tasks related to the support of chemistry, biology and physics labs in both junior and senior science classes. As a member of the education team, the Assistant must be vigilant in monitoring student safety and be prepared to address safety emergencies including the clean-up of hazardous spills of materials, such as mercury and acids and bases.
Key Relationships (Internal and External): Teachers, Students, Parents, Principal and other members of the school management team as well as External suppliers and Standard Agencies
• Sets up equipment, chemicals and supplies for chemistry, physics and biology labs at the junior and senior level under the teacher’s guidance
• Prepares molar solutions of acids by diluting concentrated solutions; Calculates relative volumes of concentrated acid and water
• Calculates required mass and prepares standard solutions of salt and bases
• Ensures safe work environment by complying with regulations for handling hazardous materials, and follows waste regulations and proper procedures in the disposal of chemicals
• Cleans up hazardous spills, such as mercury and acids and bases and administers first aid related to chemical accidents as required
• Maintains Chemical Storage standards
• Prepares buffer solutions of a given pH and calibrates the pH meter and prepares chemical indicator and biological stain solutions using appropriate quantities of reagents
• Performs titrations to verify the concentration of standardized solutions
• Maintains and repairs lab equipment such as electroscopes and ray boxes
• Properly sterilizes equipment and cleans glassware using the appropriate solvents
• Maintains set of reagents for specific lab activities
• Assists teachers in the marking of objective student work
• Assists teachers in supervising activities, such as field trips
• Overseas the inventory of lab equipment and chemical supplies including ordering and handling the required chemicals and gases such as helium, hydrogen and oxygen, under the direction of the Science staff; maintains the inventory spreadsheet for budget purposes
• Orders text books and other equipment through the custodian and/or office supply company as directed by the Science staff
• Provides information and assistance to students, staff, parents and the public by telephone or in person
• Performs other assigned comparable or transient duties, which are within the area of knowledge and skills required by this job description
• Education: Bachelor’s degree and relevant experience in a class room setting
• Experience: Similar experienced in a similar role is desired
• Good levels of written and spoken English
• Enthusiasm and aptitude for working with students
• Good team player, able to work well as part of a team
About the Company
Taaleem’s main activity is the development and management of early childhood, primary and secondary schools. With quality at the forefront of our offering, we tailor each project to answer the specific educational requirements of a wide range of families by offering top international curricula including British, American, the International Baccalaureate and our custom early childhood programme.
Taaleem, which means education in Arabic, is committed to inspiring students and helping them to identify and develop their passions and talents. We only recruit the best international teachers who are capable of delivering our international curricula in a creative and engaging manner.
Taaleem is seeking to raise the educational standards in the region. The combined experience of its core team of senior education leaders in international education policy, operations and global management best practices means Taaleem is well positioned to ensure the creative of truly exceptional schools that satisfy the most comprehensive and exacting education developmental requirements.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Teacher - Part Time