Job description / Role
Kanoo Shipping is looking for an experienced Launch Captain to be based in Fujairah, UAE.
• Responsible for safe and efficient execution of Kanoo Marine boat operations as per instructions of Kanoo Shipping Operations Department / charterer, including safe handling of cargo, navigation, crew management, vessel's security plan as mandated by the International Maritime Organization and ensuring that the boat complies with local and international laws, as well as company and flag state policies,
• Responsible for the safety of all persons on board, including officers and crew, other shipboard staff members, passengers, guests and pilots
• Responsible for responding to and reporting in case of accidents and incidents, and in case of injuries and illness among the ship's crew and passengers
• Ensuring customer complaints, procedure / safety related issues are reported to marine management with submission of formal report to Marine Manager
• Ensure all operational procedures are carried out by Kanoo Marine staff and qualified suppliers/contractors and not by passengers/unauthorized third party personnel.
• Responsible for compliance with immigration and customs regulations, maintaining the ship's certificates records and documentation, its cleanliness and seaworthiness and inventory of ship's cash and stores
• Acts as a liaison to local investigators in cases of accidents and is responsible for providing complete and accurate logbooks, reports, statements and evidence to document the incident
• Responsible to address any medical issues affecting the passengers and crew by providing medical care as possible, cooperating with shore-side medical personnel, and, as necessary, evacuating those who need more assistance than can be provided on-board the ship
• Responsible for safe delivery of “Cash to Master” and ensuring that acknowledgment receipt is collected and submitted to Kanoo Shipping Operations
• Checks and receives cargo onboard against delivery notes and confirm everything is in order. Ensure that the cargo is delivered to the correct vessel and receipts obtained.
• Prepares Log Sheets ensuring accurate and complete details and submits to Kanoo Shipping operations upon arrival at the port.
• Brief passengers about the safety and emergency procedures onboard before departure
• Checks and confirms that all equipment on board is in sea worthy condition before departure.
• Maintains logs for all the cargo/passengers/ operational activity onboard.
• Submits monthly reports on the status of LSA/FFA and cargo handling gear.
• Conduct monthly training for the crew (fire fighting, abandon ship, emergency steering rig up and Man overboard).
• Ensure EPIRB, SART, MOB marker and life raft is properly operated in case of emergency.
• Responsible for rigging up emergency steering and maneuvering the vessel to safety in case of steering failure.
• Periodic checking of crew certificates/documentation to ensure that they are all valid.
• Make entries in the crew’s seaman books.
• Manages boat’s inventories to ensure adequate supply is kept on board at all times
• Ensures that the boat is always manned with sufficient crew as per Safe Manning Certificate.
• Attend port state / Classification body periodic surveys/inspections.
• Carry out proper navigation maneuvers ensuring safety at all times
• Should be aware of all the latest port orders, Mariner’s notices and chart corrections at all times
• Ensure that the boat have sufficient fenders all round for protection at all times
• Ensure that the crew is always on proper PPE and passengers are offered life vests by the A/B before embarkation.
• On charter operations, responsible for ensuring that the boat contains all the necessary publications as per charterer’s requirement.
• Responsible for the effective implementation / compliance of Management Requirements as per Kanoo Shipping Operational / Quality / HSSE Procedures and Policies in Kanoo Marine operations.
• Monitors all personnel / passenger on board the boat to ensure Kanoo Marine safety requirements are strictly complied at all times.
• Carry out required activities to contribute to the achievement of Kanoo Marine’s Key Performance Indicators Attends monthly reviews and effectively carry out corrective actions as instructed by management.
• Responsible for improvement of performance in carrying out responsibilities to achieve requirements
• A licensed mariner having valid certification issued by one or more countries to hold the senior position of Captain in boats, and similar vessels.
• At least 5 years experience direct operation of boats or similar marine craft.
• Service Boat Offshore Operation.
• Excellent correspondence & communication.
• Excellent knowledge of - ISM Code, Radar, Medical First Aid, Security, Advanced Fire Fighting, Survival Crafts, GOC for GMDSS and Navigational Watch.
About the Company
Established in 1890, Yusuf Bin Ahmed Kanoo (YBA Kanoo) started from a humble trading and shipping enterprise founded in Bahrain by Haji Yusuf Bin Ahmed Kanoo. From Bahrain, the business spread to Saudi Arabia in the 1930s.
In 1967, Hamed Kanoo came from Saudi Arabia to the UAE to expand the family business. Having successfully established Yusuf Bin Ahmed Kanoo (YBA Kanoo)'s operations in Khafji in the Kingdom, the company asked him to replicate the same in UAE too. With only 5 people including him, Hamed Kanoo managed to put-up The Kanoo Group as a trade name in the UAE Map. At present, The Kanoo Group operates in UAE and Oman. Mishal Hamed Kanoo serves as the Chairman, with over 1,200 employees working for its divisions.
The Kanoo family remained true to their early values. This adherence to ethics and beliefs made them an essential component of the regional business life.
One of the first industries that Kanoo excelled at was shipping. No one could have predicted that it would challenge the monopoly of long established British companies and goes on to become the largest regional shipping agency in the Middle East. Kanoo Shipping is one of the founders of S5 Agency World Ltd. and was the first Arab shipping agency in the region in 1911. At present, Kanoo Shipping operates in 20 countries and in all principal ports and offshore tanker loading terminals around the Arabian Peninsula, including Iraq. It handles 11,000 port calls every year which covers all ports in the Suez to India range.
The historic rise of Kanoo Travel has proven similarly impressive. The group's interest in travel started in 1937 when the company used to provide refueling facilities for Imperial Airline sea-planes en route to India and Australia. In 1947, Kanoo Travel became the first IATA agency in the Gulf and became the very first travel company in the Middle East to receive the ISO certification in 1997.
The Group's another success story began in mid-1960s. Kanoo Machinery used to supply construction and material handling equipment in the region. At that time, the UAE was just setting up its oil and gas industry and developing its infrastructure. By providing the government and private sectors with world-class equipment and services, Kanoo Machinery helped lay down the foundations of the vital sectors of UAE's economy.
Today for over 130 years, the company is amongst the most diversified and highly regarded business houses in the Gulf region and operates extensively throughout Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Yemen and Qatar. It has unremittingly grown its realm of businesses into various industries in shipping, travel, machinery, logistics, property, energy (oil & gas, power, water) industrial chemicals, training, joint ventures, retail, and commercial activities.