Job description / Role
This is a technical position which involves a variety of tasks related to the daily operations of cellular and molecular biology research laboratory in the Department of Anatomy. The tasks will include animal handling, cell biology methods (including microscopy and cell culture) and molecular biology procedures.
* Prepares laboratory solutions
* Conducts experiments and research procedures
* Uses various microscopy methods for animal and human cells and tissues
* Conducts cell culture procedures (growth and maintenance of mammalian cell lines).
* Performs basic cellular biology techniques using immunocytochemistry and fluorescence/confocal microscopy
* Extracts proteins from cells and tissues for western blot analysis
* Isolates DNA/RNA for various molecular procedures (including gel electrophoresis, reverse transcription, PCR, qPCR)
* Maintain mouse colonies
* Perform basic surgeries and injection techniques in mice
* Records and analyzes data files from experimental procedures
* Maintains lab stocks and solutions and inventory of supplies
* Orders lab chemicals and consumables as needed
* Trains undergraduate and graduate students
* Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor
* Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, or a relevant scientific field OR Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology OR course-based Master's degree PLUS 3-4 years experience.
* Appropriate thesis-based Master's degree PLUS 1-2 years of experience.
* Animal model experimentation
* Master degree
* Theoretical knowledge in cellular and molecular biology and stem cell biology
* Experience in performing cell biology and biochemical laboratory techniques
* Experience using microscopes (light, fluorescence, confocal, and electron microscopes).
* Experience performing molecular biology techniques including PCR, RNA preparation/extraction and gel electrophoresis
* Ability to read, comprehend and discuss research data and articles
* Knowledge of safe laboratory practices
* Knowledge of computer and word processing/database/spreadsheet software.
* Good organization and time management skills
* Good oral and written communication and training skills
* Ability to perform basic mathematical and statistical analysis
* Proficiency in English
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.