Job description / Role
- Management of PI's lab/team: organization, machine/software maintenance, ordering and procurement of hardware/software and consumables.
- Carry out experiments, run simulations, learn new software, perform data analysis, including the statistical analysis, and be involved in interpretation and communication of main results.
- Organize and assist in the laboratory-based practical sessions for undergraduate medical students in the different Biochemistry courses.
- Participate in the training and supervision of graduate and undergraduate students.
- Be responsible for the technical development, maintenance and troubleshooting of all laboratory computers.
- Ensure that the work is completed efficiently and on a timely manner.
- Adhere to the university regulations and safety whenever applicable.
Specific Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Independently conduct experiments involving simulations in density functional theory, electronic structure theory, molecular dynamics, docking, and machine learning in artificial intelligence.
- Maintenance and follow up on short-run and long-run simulations.
- Conduct experiments involving medicinal chemistry, drug discovery, biochemical processes, and mutations.
- Run jobs on Linux (and windows) operating systems, using software like, Gaussian, MolPro, OpenEye, AIMALL, etc.
- Analyze and interpret the results using GUI interfaces like Gaussview, unix shell scripts, and codes like C++, Fortran.
- Generate advanced graphs to illustrate the results.
- Write (advanced English skills are desired), communicate and disseminate the work.
- Undergraduate medical students during the Biochemistry practical sessions.
- Assist in training and supervision of graduate and undergraduate students on specific software/methodologies relevant to their projects (understanding theory, running jobs, extracting data, analyzing results, and writing it).
- Train and supervise other research staff recruited on grants, graduate and undergraduate students.
- PhD degree in a relevant discipline (computational sciences, computational chemistry/biochemistry)
- Demonstrated prior experience in using various operating systems including Unix/Linux, ab initio electronic structure theory, density functional theory, machine learning in artificial intelligence, molecular dynamics is essential.
- Minimum 3-4 years in academic or research institution setting and/or in the relevant scientific field.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.