Job description / Role
The Oracle Technical Architect role is key in the definition and delivery of feasible technical solutions that help to realize the full value of the Oracle product footprint. As well as having significant technology and infrastructure expertise, the Technical Architect will have strong delivery expertise, the ability to provide a detailed work plan, and will work closely with the project manager and client team to provide input to the project plans and apply expert knowledge to the decision-making process.
Technical Architects manage the technical aspects of complex cross-product solutions within the Oracle applications and technology portfolio, as well as 3rd party integration, to obtain best use of product features and provide efficient problem resolution in the most complex environments. The Technical Architect is accountable for an end to end solution that meets business requirements from a technical viewpoint. The solution should consider performance, scalability and proper use of product.
Role Summary: Common tasks, qualifications and special skills
Note: Specific or unique to the position and not addressed in the statements within the Job Description below. Provide only supplemental statements that specifically describe the position.
Technical Architects are primarily engaged in the following situations:
Participate in CRP to
• engage senior client staff (business and IT) to understand and define their needs, and subsequently to define the solution and high-level architecture to meet these requirements
• assist in establishing and validating customer requirements
• conduct security workshops and walk-through’s to ensure compliance to customers’ enterprise security requirements
• provide input to system capacity planning activity, and liaison with 3rd party hardware vendors for sizing and design of the infrastructure
• contribute to the preparation of a technically feasible solution
• provide implementation definition with responsibility for the technical infrastructure design
• contribute to the successful delivery of the solution
Provide the following technical services:
• Define the technical solution to meet the agreed non-functional requirements, for example
• system availability/resilience
• manageability (including deployment and version/release management)
• capacity planning in conjunction with the chosen hardware supplier
• security and identity management
• integration (internally between Oracle products and with Legacy)
• back up and recovery
• data cleansing
• data migration
• job scheduling
• Translate solution architecture into viable Oracle-based technical designs utilizing and exploiting the Oracle product capability
• Assess infrastructure and environment requirements of the project, systems or services and recommend architectural solutions
• Provide recommendations on operating systems and connectivity for the target solution
• Validate product certification and highlight any non-compliance
• Determine the applicability of a technology, defining a feasible architecture in using that particular technology
Provide specialist advice and guidance to
• review an existing or proposed technical architecture
• provide guidance on the implementation of Oracle technology
• recommend best use of the Oracle licensed assets
• participate in quality management initiatives
• Provide design oversight, technical governance and leadership to the technical design team
• Lead team to carry out phase reviews in the following areas:
• Design Reviews – verify that a detailed technical design is consistent with the functional specification
• Pre Implementation Reviews – verify that the system is compliant and sustainable with technical requirement and technical needs are addressed
• Post Implementation Review – verify that the implemented system is functioning in accordance with the detailed design
• Coordinate activities with project delivery team and related stakeholders to validate the technical requirements, and map them to a feasible technical solution
Work with Project Manager / Solution Architect to
• Ensure that the technical architecture is feasible and will meet the business requirements
• Define the delivery approach by providing input to estimates and resource planning required to deliver the proposed solution
• Liaise with client architecture governance team to observe conformity with agreed enterprise standards and facilitate business justified exemptions where required
• Support project management in exercising risk management practices, and provide input to the technical risk register; take steps as part of the design process to reduce risk (e.g. In project execution or production operation)
• Promote development of technical expertise in the delivery team, including technical awareness and transfer expertise to the client
• BSc ,BA or MBA in related field
• Minimum of ten years’ overall experience in a technical role
• Five years’ experience in multi-dimensional issue resolution
• Five to seven years’ retail industry experience addressing system areas such as business continuity, environment management, patching strategies
• Team leadership experience
• Operate independently and in a self-sufficient manner
• Ability to communicate effectively and build rapport with team members and clients
• Possess five to seven years’ experience supporting implementation of Oracle Retail technologies
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Willing to travel – up to 80% of time
• Establish credibility of, and protect, the Oracle brand and promote the ubiquity of the Oracle footprint and the client dependency on Oracle products and services
• Act as an evangelist for Oracle technology and ability to deliver technical infrastructure
• Orchestrate & arbitrate between relevant technical experts to determine proposed customer solution
• Advise and guide on technical governance processes, and integration of the design oversight of the Oracle implementation within client Enterprise Architecture Governance processes
• Provide advice and guidance on deployment, phasing, and transitioning best practice
• Support the technology product and architectural go-to market strategies
• Disseminate knowledge and expertise extensively between LOBs, Partners and Customers
• Work with Partners to ensure they understand and advocate Oracle product strategies
• Harvest and promote best practices and patterns within domain of expertise
• Help to gather and promote important customer solution architecture examples and success stories
• Technical knowledge of Oracle EBS, Siebel and Hyperion (other non-RGBU products in the Retail Footprint) would be advantageous but not essential
• Possess ability to exercise independent judgment combined with complex problem solving skills
• Possess superior time management skills
• Demonstrate professional flexibility combined with ability to lead change
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
As a recognized authority and leading contributor within their practice, this senior-level consulting position provides consistent high quality and innovative solution leadership to a project team. Leads the solution design and implementation aspects of engagement(s) ensuring high quality, integrated software solutions within constraints of time and budget.
Analyzes business needs to help ensure Oracle solution meets the customer’s objectives by combining industry best practices, product knowledge, and business acumen. Exercises judgment and business acumen in selecting methods and techniques to deliver functional and technical solutions on non-routine and very complex aspects of applications and technology installations. Provides direction and mentoring to project teams, and effectively influences customer leadership on key decisions. Supports the business development efforts by pursuing new opportunities and extensions. Collaborates with the consulting sales team by providing domain expertise. Resolves complex customer issues by recommending and implementing solutions. Demonstrates expertise in multiple business processes across two or more product families or ability to architect and design technology solutions encompassing multiple products and make decisions based on impact across the stack.
8-10 years of experience relevant to this position including 4 years of consulting experience. Prior team leadership or management experience preferred. Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience preferred. Product or technical expertise relevant to practice focus. Ability to communicate effectively. Ability to build rapport with team members and clients. Strong influencing and negotiation skills. Ability to travel as needed.
As part of Oracle's employment process candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment screening process, prior to an offer being made. This will involve identity and employment verification, salary verification, professional references, education verification and professional qualifications and memberships (if applicable).
About the Company
Oracle offers an integrated array of applications, databases, servers, storage, and cloud technologies to empower modern business. For most companies, flexibility is critical. Oracle provides a wide choice of software, systems, and cloud deployment models - including public, on-premises, and hybrid clouds - to ensure that technology flexes to the unique needs of a business.
Oracle Cloud is a complete, integrated stack of platform, infrastructure, and application services. With advanced scalability and security, Oracle Cloud enables technical agility across the enterprise, connects people to information for clearer insights, and fosters efficiency through simplified workflows.
More than 420,000 customers across 145 countries have harnessed Oracle technology to accelerate their digital transformation.