Job description / Role
Protocol and Events Officer
Canada Pavilion - Expo 2020
Barker Langham Recruitment is delighted to be recruiting on behalf of the Canada Pavilion for positions at Expo 2020. We are looking for a diverse and inclusive representation of Canada’s “Future Minds” here in the UAE, for the position of Protocol and Events Officer, to assist in the day-to-day operation of the VIP area of the Canada Pavilion.
Role & Responsibilities
• Welcoming visitors/dignitaries to the Canada Pavilion
• Providing information about Canada, the contents of the Pavilion, Canada’s cultural program and Canada’s special events
• Facilitating VIP easy access to the Canada Pavilion for Canadian and Foreign VIPs
• Escorting VIP visitors on tours of the Canada Pavilion and other pavilions; responding to their requests for information
• Supporting the organization of events of all types, such as receptions, dinners, and media events
• Additional duties as required in support of the Protocol and Special Events team or the team of Hosting staff
• Tracking of event bookings for Canadian businesses and partner organizations at the Canada Pavilion Business Centre, other venues on the Expo site and the Dubai Exhibition Centre (DEC)
• Under the supervision of the Deputy Director, Protocol and Special Events and the Head of Protocol, Protocol and Events Officers will work closely with client organizations in the delivery of their events
• Preparing visits for Canadian VIPs to other thematic or international participants pavilions
• Contributing to the maintenance of an electronic database of information on all VIP visitors, as well as hospitality activities and special events.
AED 11200 per month inclusive of fixed allowances.
• Completion of three years post-secondary education or an equivalent combination of education and experience in areas such as communications, public relations, tourism and hotel management.
• VIP protocol officers must be fluent in English and French.
• Fluency in Arabic highly desirable.
• Knowledge of additional languages is an asset.
• Demonstrated extensive experience in having worked in a field similar to expositions
• Demonstrated extensive experience in dealing with public as well as crowd control management
• Experience in office management and procedures and working with computers and various software
• Demonstrated experience in the fields of hospitality/protocol, event planning and dealing with VIPs, i.e. high ranking government officials and corporate personnel
• Demonstrated experience in liaising with representatives of foreign organizations
• Good knowledge of Canadian history, geography, culture and political environment
• General knowledge of the UAE and its culture and Canadian-UAE relations
• Good knowledge and appreciation of protocol matters
• Ability to interpret (Pavilion content information) and transmit information to Canada Pavilion visitors
• Ability to work well in team setting
• Ability to work in a foreign country
• Ability to manage large groups
• Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
• Ability to deal with difficult situations
• Ability to administer First Aid is an asset.
Salary & Benefits
• Fixed term contract
• Salary 11,200 AED per month
• Health insurance
• Full training
• Participation in Barker Langham’s “Creative Futures” programme.
Conditions Of Work
• Must be available for work from September 26, 2021 to March 31, 2022
• Must be a Canadian citizen
• Must wear a pressed and clean uniform (provided by Canada Pavilion) when on duty
• Must adhere to a shift schedule established for the Pavilion (precise shift to be determined).
• There will be no vacation leave granted during this period.
About the Company
Barker Langham Recruitment is a strategic human resource, recruitment and training firm for the global cultural & creative industries.
We define innovative human resource [people] strategies and deliver bespoke recruitment [people] solutions that create sustainable growth for our global clients [people] in the cultural and creative sectors.
People for people. Simple.