Job description / Role
The GL Accountant is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting, developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures, to ensure accurate and timely preparation of financial statements, compliance with VAT law and other regulatory filings in compliance with ADEK.
Internally: Finance Support at Schools, Finance Team Members, Principals, Admission and Facility Management Team
Externally: Banks, Vendors, External Auditors and ADEK
• Manages the maintenance of General Ledger and correct assignment of GL accounting codes to all the financial & accounting transactions.
• Complete Budget monitoring against all Procurement Recommendation Reports and Purchase Orders.
• Coordinate month-end closing tasks, prepare and finalize journal entries, reports and schedules which are basis for accounting entries prior to posting.
• Prepares the monthly financial report in accordance with the Financial Reporting Standards.
• Prepare various reports and GL schedules to monitor the accuracy and completeness of the financial information generated from the transactions.
• Supports budget and forecasting activities.
• Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
• Keep a track and fulfilling all the requirements of non-routine reporting transactions.
• Facilitate internal and external Auditors in coordination with Finance team to ensure a clean and timely internal, interim and year end audits.
• Support Management in ensuring all financial reporting deadlines are met.
• File corporate VAT returns with FTA to ensure VAT law (2018) compliance.
• Assignment of correct GL codes to all the accounting transactions.
• Timely communication of over spent budget to the budget owners and preparation of complete documentation for budget appropriation or creation of new budget amounts.
• Timely completion of month-end closing tasks including preparation of journal entries and schedules which are basis for accounting entries.
• Preparation of improved and comprehensive monthly management report pack in accordance with Financial Reporting Standards, showing the accurate company's financial performance, for dissemination to the department heads.
• Monthly Corporate Financial report for relevant schools to be sent within stipulated timeline.
• Complete consolidation and actively support management in budgeting and forecasting activities.
• Proficient in understanding the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
• Non-routine reporting transactions are submitted in timely manner.
• Succeeded in clean and timely year-end audit.
• Filing quarterly corporate VAT return.
• Effective and efficient problem solving skills.
• Proficient to respond the specific inquiries from management regarding the financial results and special reporting requests.
• Actively participate in training and development programs and maximize opportunities for self-development.
• Self-starter and ability to manage multiple task.
Service towards colleagues
• Demonstrate service attributes in accordance with company’s standards and expectations.
• Be able to promote the company’s values and services.
• Maintain a high level of product and knowledge about the company.
• Gain understanding of the departmental goals and financial targets and support management in achieving these targets.
• Recycle wherever possible and enforce cost saving measures where appropriate.
• Comply with the company’s corporate code of conduct at all times.
• Familiarize yourself with the company vision, values and model desired behaviors.
• Perform tasks as directed by the line managers in pursuit of the achievement of business goals.
Qualifications and requirements
• Professional Certification CA/CPA/ACCA Qualified.
• Five or more years of experience in same role.
• Strong knowledge of MS Office and Oracle / ERP.
• Must speak English. Knowledge of Arabic may be considered.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
• This position is required to work 40 hours per week, predominately Sunday to Thursday.
• This position has no financial delegation.
• Travel to conferences or relevant industry meetings may be required.
• Some work outside normal hours may be required.
About the Company
Aldar Academies, a division of Aldar Properties PJSC, is a leading provider of private education in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. We provide inspiring learning environments, combining the very best academic, arts and sporting facilities with the highest standards of teaching. From a single school with 250 students in 2007, Aldar Academies now operates six schools in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain with over 4700 students. With over 700 employees we have planned projects to grow our current schools and build new ones to increase our student capacity to over 14,000 in the next 4-5 years. All our schools are rated Band A by the Abu Dhabi Education Council.
All Aldar Academies schools offer a British curriculum, which has been adapted to the needs of students in the UAE, ensuring that all our students have access to an international education in a stimulating, multi-cultural setting where academic achievement is nurtured alongside personal development. Operating as integral parts of the communities to which they belong, each of our six primary and secondary schools allows students to find and pursue their passions and prepare them for a future of success.
Aldar Academies schools are, at pre-school and primary level, The Pearl, Al Mushrif and Al Muna; serving both pre-school, primary and secondary age students are Al Ain International School and Al Yasmina, which operates from FS1 to Year 13. Al Bateen Secondary School serves the needs of secondary school students in the heart of Abu Dhabi and offers the IB Diploma Programme in Years 12 and 13.