Job description / Role
Project: To work on a regeneration scheme for a large mixed-use development that will host entertainment and sporting events.
The Senior Design Manager is responsible for ensuring that all Project(s), or Programme design management-related activities undertaken by the design management team, are in accordance with the requirements of the Project Execution Plan, PMIS, or another governing framework, as may be applicable, prepared by the ADD, and approved by the Programme, or Project Director.
The SDM provides leadership to the DM team, support to the AD-Design, and for ensuring that personal health, safety, and well-being, and that of the team are maintained.
It is essential that the SDM has either previous experience in stadia or major programme management.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Managing and ensuring design management is consistent across projects, or phases.
• Ensuring the design management function is aligned with other PMC functional targets.
• Ensuring that reporting and progress reporting are aligned with PMC reporting requirements.
• Monitoring, reviewing, and reporting on consultant’s and/or contractor design progress.
• Ensuring designs are developed in compliance with project briefs.
• Ensuring consultants are fulfilling contractual obligations for scope and deliverables.
• Ensuring design consultants are working to ensure projects are on time, and on budget.
• Ensuring BIM management is integral to programme and ongoing.
• Ensuring scope change is monitored and managed in accordance with change protocols.
• Ensuring client and 3rd party reviews are scheduled and aligned with programme.
• Ensuring client and statutory approvals are built into programme.
• Ensuring detailed and/or peer reviews are scheduled if required.
• Ensuring value engineering workshops are scheduled, and participate
• Managing constructability reviews are scheduled and participate
• Managing the preparation of consultant scopes and project briefs.
• Supporting procurement in preparation of RFP/ITT packages.
• Advising on consultant selection and appointment.
• Evaluation of consultant variations and claims in connection with the design.
• Review consultant and/or contractor design submissions and progress reports.
• Oversight and participation in key design and technical review workshops.
• Challenging and supporting the design teams to ensure design solutions are optimized.
• Utilizing company resources efficiently to accomplish assigned work.
• Identifying and managing design-associated risks, mitigation strategies, and/or escalation.
• You have a relevant sector specific knowledge, including industry standards and terms of reference, knowledge of RIBA, or other international Plans of Work, and alignment with WBS, experience of BIM and BIMM requirements over project lifecycle and WBS, ability to interrogate programmes and critical path
• Understanding of client governance requirements for design stage approvals
• Direct experience in aligning design management with alternative procurement routes, experience in preparation of Design Team structures and delivery team Org charts, experience in structuring roles, responsibilities, and requirements of delivery teams, direct experience of Design Consultant procurement and fee negotiation
• Direct experience in assessment and analysis of multi discipline Consultant fee proposals, direct experience in managing design to target Project Budgets, direct experience in assessment and analysis of Consultant Deployment schedules
• Good working knowledge of design process for all disciplines
• Understanding of project lifecycle and WBS, experience in implementation of Value Management & Value Engineering, understanding of Contract law (design liability) and Mace limit of liability
• Understanding of Design Management Scope aligned with PMC and PMO level, experience in preparation of Project Briefs, Scopes of Service and RFP/ITT issue
• Understanding of principles of contracts in respect of design, knowledge of construction technology knowledge (on-site experience), knowledge of statutory Approvals for Development Control and Civil defence as applicable
• Knowledge of applicable International Codes, Standards and Regulatory frameworks, knowledge of industry standards for measurement; BUA, GFA, NIA, GIFA etc.
Apply now for a confidential discussion.
About the Company
Mace is an international consultancy and construction company that has delivered world class projects since 1990. Today we employ over 6,000 people across five global hubs in Europe, Middle East North Africa and India, North America, Asia Pacific and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Four simple values guide our behaviour in our pursuit of a better way; Safety first - going home safe and well, Client focus - deliver on our promise, Create opportunity - for our people to excel, Integrity - always doing the right thing. We aim to attract the best and brightest people, whatever their background, to bring new perspectives to some of the most complex and inspiring projects around the world.
We support our people who are aiming to achieve an academic or professional qualification that will help them develop personally and deliver to the highest standard for our clients. At Mace you can deepen your knowledge, expand your skills and define your own path.