Job description / Role
Under a new 3-year project in NSSTC that aims at developing hardware, laboratory and software infrastructure and human expertise to develop NSSTC's Remote sensing, GIS and Terrain Modelling program, one scientist is needed who can support the proposed activities. The project aims at capacity building by educating undergraduate/PhD/post-docs in UAE to maximize the return of Remote sensing and GIS activities, and make them familiar with tools and analysis of remote sensing observations. The project also targets the training of manpower for terrain mapping and elevation modeling, innovative hardware development, enhance the international involvement of UAE within the Science Community, and communicate to the main stakeholders and provide a transfer of technologies and know-how to the UAE society. The overall objective of the project will be to transform all the proposed activities in the form of published articles in top relevant journals and endeavor to generate patents, thus highlighting the achievements of NSSTC at the international stage.
- We are looking for the candidates who are self-motivated, eager to venture into new disciplines, able to accomplish goals within expected timelines, adaptive to teamwork, and who want to contribute to cutting edge research.
- Suitable background is a PhD in Environmental Science/Remote Sensing/Geoinformatics or similar disciplines with proven knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS).
- Candidates should be good team players with a good mastering of the English language, both orally and in writing (displayed through their publication records).
The applicants shall have excellent publication record and analytical abilities for in-site and satellite data.
Candidates should display capabilities in several of the following fields
- GIS and digital image processing software
- Terrain Modeling from Photogrammetry and Imageries
- Geospatial and geoscientific data handling and interpretation
- Scientific interpretation of remote sensing data in different spectral ranges
- Field-work experience in different earth environments
- PhD in Environmental Science/Remote Sensing/Geoinformatics or similar disciplines with proven knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS).
- The aim of the successful candidates is to apply remote sensing principles and methods to analyze data and solve problems in areas such as natural resource management, land use and land cover mapping, digital terrain/elevation modelling for ongoing research projects at NSSTC.
- The successful candidates should organize field campaigns supporting his/her research and the activities of the research group. This position provides ample opportunity for interaction with international partners from prestigious academic institutions, industrial partners, and participation in academic conferences.
The successful candidates are expected to
- Participate in the analysis of existing Earth in-situ and orbital data.
- Manage or analyze data obtained from remote sensing systems to obtain meaningful results using statistical analysis software, image analysis software, or Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Process aerial or satellite imagery to create products such as land cover map, and able to generate 3D Digital Terrain Modeling files from Photogrammetry and Aerial Imagery
- Build a publication record.
- Build an international reputation.
- Organize field campaigns.
- Collaborate with external parties.
- Manage projects.
- Enforce capacity building through the supervision of undergraduate/PhD/post-docs.
- Help devise a strategic research plan on supporting NSSTC's activities.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.