Job description / Role
Under a new 3-year project in NSSTC that aims at developing hardware, laboratory and software infrastructure and human expertise to develop NSSTC's Remote sensing, Mars research and exploration program, a Senior Planetary Scientist is needed who can support the proposed activities. The project aims at capacity building by educating undergraduate/PhD/post-docs in UAE to maximize the return of Remote sensing and EMM activities, prepare them for future Moon and Mars missions, and make them familiar with tools and analysis of remote sensing observations. The project also targets the training of manpower for Mars atmospheric photochemistry and geophysical modeling, innovative hardware development, enhance the international involvement of UAE within the Mars Community, and communicate to the main stakeholders and provide a transfer of technologies and know-how to the UAE society. The overall objective of the project will be to transform all the proposed activities in the form of published articles in top relevant journals and endeavor to generate patents, thus highlighting the achievements of NSSTC at the international stage.
The successful candidate should contribute to the goals of the UAE hyperspectral instrument and should contribute to the analysis of lower atmosphere data of the EMM mission.
The candidate would look into the connection between atmospheric changes and Earth's environment, and into the ways of linking these experimental and/or theoretical studies with analogous Mars research. The successful candidate will participate in field campaigns supporting his/her research and the activities of the research group. This position provides ample opportunity for interaction with international partners from prestigious academic institutions, industrial partners from the aerospace sector, and participation in academic conferences.
The successful candidate is expected to support:
- Satellite Design and Build activities for the hyperspectral instrument.
- Comparison of EMM lower atmosphere data with current and future missions (Curiosity rover, Trace Gas Orbiter, ExoMars,) to Mars Participate in the analysis of existing Mars and Earth in-situ and orbital data.
- Remote sensing of present-day surface on Earth and Mars features.
- Field campaigns to test and validate our models and hypothesis in Martian-like conditions on Earth
Mapping of regions of interest for future exploration of Mars and implications from a Planetary Protection point of view.
- Build a publication record.
- Build an international reputation.
- Collaborate with external parties.
- Manage projects.
- Enforce capacity building through the supervision of undergraduate/PhD/post-docs.
- Help devise a strategic research plan on supporting NSSTC's activities.
- PhD in a related discipline
- PhD in a related discipline with more than 2 years of post-doctoral experience<b>Expected Skills/Rank/Experience</b>
We are looking for the candidates with more than 2 years of post-doctoral experience, who are self-motivated, eager to venture into new disciplines, able to accomplish goals within expected timelines, adaptive to teamwork, and who want to contribute to cutting edge research on Earth and Mars.
The suitable background is a PhD in Environmental Science/Glaciology/Remote Sensing/Geoinformatics or similar disciplines with proven knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS). Candidates should be good team players with a good mastering of the English language, both orally and in writing (displayed through their publication records).
The applicants shall have excellent publication record and analytical abilities for in-situ and satellite data.
Candidates should display capabilities in several of the following fields:
- GIS and digital image processing software
- Glacio-hydrological models
- Planetary data handling and interpretation
- Scientific interpretation of remote sensing data in different spectral ranges
- Field-work experience in extreme earth and Mars analogues environments
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.