Job description / Role
Do you want to help build a world-class institution from the region, experience the thrill of being part of a high-growth technology company, and improve people lives?
At Careem, our mission is to simplify & improve the lives of people, initially through solutions that make transportation in the region reliable, and over time, through disruptions in payments and logistics. In the process, we want to build an organisation that inspires and become a world-class institution from the region.
Careem is the MENA regions leading ride-hailing service and newest Tech Unicorn. With 30% monthly growth, we now operate in 90+ cities across 13+ countries and host over 15million users. With our recent Series D funding success, we are positioned on the cusp of significant scale and well on target to deliver our goal of creating one million jobs in the region by 2018. Read more about us here and here .
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for software engineers to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability and continued development.
You will build the backend systems that power the Careem engine, scale highly distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices . These large scale, distributed systems handle everything from user requests to payment processing.
Key responsibilities include:
- Development of our distributed backend system to meet the challenging functional, scalability and reliability requirements for our fast growing business.
- Build and ship new features and systems, with an emphasis on code quality, maintainability, readability, and testing.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to solve interesting and challenging problems across our ad platform.
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional agile team.
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code.
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
- Strong expertise in OOP, data-structures and algorithms
- Proficiency in at least one object-oriented programming language (must love coding!)
- Fluency with software engineering tools
- Ability to: effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions; deal with loosely defined problems and fast changing requirements & think abstractly
- Passionate about learning new technologies and working on a product of massive scale and impact
Nice to have:
- Proficiency in one or more of the following:
- Java and associated server-side technologies
- Microservice Architecture
- Experience with cloud-centric application development and deployment
- Bachelors or higher degree in Computer Science or related disciplines
- Competitive remuneration and equity shares
- Premium medical insurance (including spouse and children)
- 25 working days annual leave
- Discounted Careem rides plus free credits inline with company growth
- Entrepreneurial working environment
- Flexible working arrangements
- Mentorship and career growth
About the Company
We are a brand that aims to simplify people's lives by revolutionizing the transportation industry. A brand that strives to inspire everyone it interacts with, and supports every single person who dares to believe. #BeCareem
Careem is the MENA region's leading ride-hailing service and newest Tech Unicorn. With 30% monthly growth, we now operate in 50+ cities across 11 countries and host over 6 million users. With our recent Series D funding success, we are positioned on the cusp of significant scale and well on target to deliver our goal of creating one million jobs in the region by 2018.