Job description / Role
Vice President, Taxation (Mubadala Capital)
Mubadala is a global investment company with a mandate to generate sustainable financial returns to the Government of Abu Dhabi for the long-term.
We actively invest across a variety of geographies, asset classes and sectors that build on our competitive advantages of talent, financial strength, portfolio diversity and global relationships to enhance lasting value at home and overseas.
We are a responsible corporate citizen motivating our businesses to have a positive impact on the communities where they operate.
Mubadala's Taxation Division is involved in the full life cycle of all Mubadala's international assets, whether public, private or fund investments. We provide counsel and support with a wide range of transactions including cross-border acquisitions, disposals, financings and structural reorganizations.
Tax is closely integrated with Mubadala's business units and businesses and team members frequently work as embedded resources within units and assets while transactions are underway.
The role will focus on providing compliance and transactional tax support to Mubadala Capital, Mubadala's financial investments unit, working closely with Mubadala Capital's existing team of 2 highly experienced senior tax professionals. Mubadala Capital manages a diverse pool of over 150 assets including private equity direct and fund investments, credit investments, sovereign investment partnerships in Russia, China, France and Kazakhstan, a number of media and industrial assets located in Brazil, and a venture capital business investing in the US Europe, and operating an emergent technology start-up incubator programme in the UAE.
- Operating as a member of a team of three with responsibility for all tax matters relating to Mubadala Capital means that the appointee will be a key member of transactional and asset management teams across the unit, providing timely, practical, and accurate tax advice.
- The role will be approximately equally divided between tax compliance (principally US focused) and international M&A transactional advice e.g. advising the business units on potential acquisitions or disposals, including structuring and due diligence, assessing financial models, and working closely with the legal team and external advisors in the preparation of legal documentation.
- The tax function is tightly integrated into transactions from inception to divestment, and works very closely with all deal teams and the legal team to ensure that the tax impact on economics and any tax related negotiation points are thoroughly understood throughout the investment life cycle, and the successful candidate will be expected to develop strong internal and external relationships consistent with a long term "owner mindset".
- ongoing consulting advice e.g. advising the business units on tax implications of financing/re-financing, mergers, operational changes and expansions, monitoring corporate structure to manage tax risks, etc.
- tax compliance, budgeting, internal reporting and training of junior tax team members i.e. ensuring that Mubadala Capital's corporate tax filing obligations are understood and met and that institutional best practices are followed. Tax knowledge sharing with the business unit to increase the commercial team's tax awareness and training and coaching of the junior tax team
- Build and maintain close relationships with Mubadala Capital's key team members and understand the unit's strategy and drivers
- Ensure continuous review, compliance with and improvement of the processes and procedures established by the Mubadala tax team
- Manage relationships with external advisors (UAE & global) to obtain advice and other relevant tax services as required for the business
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, law, taxation or related field
- Minimum of six to eight years international corporate tax experience in a Big 4 accounting firm, currently at manager or senior manager level or the equivalent
- Experience of providing international tax advice in a fast paced M&A environment, including working closely with acquisition / commercial teams
- Private equity funds experience
- Strong US tax compliance experience
- Project management experience
- Experience with working with sovereign wealth funds, preferably in relation to inbound US investment and the associated s892 issues
- IFRS and tax provision knowledge and expertise
- Tax risk management experience
- Tax modelling experience, an advantage
About the Company
Our formation and identity as a company are inextricably linked to the vision of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan – who imagined a prosperous future for his people, and then brought them together as a nation to achieve it.
Mubadala is a pioneering global investor, deploying capital with integrity and ingenuity to accelerate economic growth for the long-term benefit of Abu Dhabi. As Abu Dhabi’s leading strategic investment company, Mubadala is active in 13 sectors and more than 30 countries around the world, creating lasting value for our shareholder, the Government of Abu Dhabi.
Our work includes the development of global industrial champions in sectors such as aerospace, ICT, semiconductors, metals & mining, renewable energy and utilities, and the management of diverse financial holdings. We build on legacy expertise in oil and gas to invest across the hydrocarbon spectrum, and enhance the UAE’s growth potential through investments in healthcare, real estate and defense services. Our investment approach prioritizes partnership with best-in-class organizations and a commitment to the highest standards of governance.