A Drama Centre course at Central Saint Martins. MA Screen Acting course specialises in giving the actor a rigorous and intense conservatoire training focused on delivering performance for the screen.
Whether on film or television or other recorded media such radio. The student will be involved in many filmed projects including a final short film professionally produced as well as professionally shot show reel material. The course also gives the student a full programme of professional preparation with current industry professionals, including casting directors, agents, producers.
This course is part of the Drama and Performance Programme.
Great reasons to apply:
- This course has produced many successful alumni including a Welsh Bafta winner and a number of feature film leads
- You'll engage with industry professionals
- With good time-management, a number of students also carry out extra-curricular activities. Current student Mirin Barr won Best Actress at the Campus Moviefest Awards for her part in 'One Beautiful Day', directed by fellow student Rudina Hatipi. One Beautiful Day has also been selected for the Campus Movie Fest Wildcard Challenge
- You'll collaborate closely with MA Screen: Directing, students on numerous camera based projects throughout the course. Other recent collaborations include working with London College of Fashion, Wimbledon and Trinity Laban
- MA Screen, Acting is built upon Stanislavski's approach to the text and the actor. Working closely with MA directing students this approach enables both to grow creatively as artists
- MA Screen Acting is one of the courses in the Drama and Performance Programme that originates from the unique approach and techniques that were developed by Drama Centre London.
Who should take this course
Acting prepares you for work in film and television and related fields by bringing together the key artistic knowledge and skills that are needed to give a truthful and exciting performance on screen. MA Screen: Acting is delivered in close collaboration with MA Screen: Directing.
At the heart of the postgraduate course is the growth of individual creativity, achieved through constant opportunities for working on camera-based projects with colleagues from other pathways. Course components include acting skills and practice, the creation and production of filmed dramas (shot in the studio and on location), and in-depth preparation for the profession (including interview and audition techniques).
Distinctive features of MA Screen - Acting are:
- An intense conservatoire approach to training for the screen
- A performance-led approach to film
- A company operating model
- The acquisition of a deep understanding of the processes leading to the creation of the films.
- A professional learning model that prepares you for direct entry into the world of work
- A focus on creative solutions to the technical aspects of production
- Concentration on professional preparation with industry professionals.
Acting lasts 45 weeks over 12 months and is structured as units - class-based to begin with, but increasingly project-geared over time. This postgraduate course is intensive. You'll be expected to commit 35 hours per week to classes, rehearsals and shoots, and to your own independent preparation and learning.
Students who come to MA Screen:
Acting expect vocational training plus a high level of autonomous learning. The practical elements of the course contribute to the intensity of the experience and sharpen your professional ability to deliver on time, on budget and at an appropriate level.
Acting breaks away from the traditional stage-focused training by providing a specific programme directly relevant to film and television. Delivered in close working partnership with MA Screen: Directing, it features an extended programme of acting skills, two film projects which are professionally produced and shot on location and in CSM's film Studio and then edited and screened. You will also be part of an Audio project, that will cover all aspects of the recorded voice and its application in film and television, gaming, commercials, computer games and documentaries and radio drama. As well as a two week programme of professional preparation.
The MA course culminates with professionally shot showreel material, directed by a working professional director, which is then screened alongside your other filmed projects to an invited industry audience that includes agents and casting directors.
Fees & Funding:
Home/EU fee To be confirmed (for guidance, tuition fees for the course that started in January 2019 were
About Course Provider
University of the Arts London (UAL) is Europe’s largest specialist art and design university. Its unique creative community is made up of six renowned Colleges, each with its own world-class reputation: Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts, London College of Communication, London College of Fashion and Wimbledon College of Arts.
UAL is the world’s sixth best University for Art and Design in the QS World University Rankings 2018. Offering an extensive range of courses in art, design, fashion, communication and performing arts, UAL is the main talent pipeline to the UK’s creative industries.
Home to a diverse community of over 18,000 students from 129 countries, UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers. Our graduates can be found in every part and at every level of the creative and cultural sectors, from heads of global business to self-employed practitioners, and on shortlists for awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
Building on UAL’s association with some of the most original thinkers in the arts, students and staff are inspired to challenge convention, generate new ideas and nurture talent. Home to award-winning staff and students for more than a century, UAL’s Colleges are at the forefront of learning, creativity and practice in their specialist subjects. This close-knit College structure offers opportunities for learning and enquiry for people at all stages of their creative development.
How to enroll?
Provide us with your contact details, course provider will get back to you.