Our Security, Leadership & Society MSc looks at the mutually reinforcing links between security, leadership and society, especially in developing nations. Through our course you will learn to understand the huge significance of leadership processes and outcomes in security efforts in the developing world and the impacts they have on society.
- Innovative approach to the interdisciplinary study of leadership regarding peace and security.
- Opportunity to network with the ALC's wide range of institutional partners that include universities, international organisations, and research and policy institutions from across the world.
- Teaching by key intellectuals and experts on leadership, peace and security from both the global north and south.
- Access to a broad selection of optional courses across King's, with emphasis on King's Global Institutes and the School of Social Sciences & Public Policy.
- Global network of renowned academics, practitioners and activists.
Who should take this course
It will appeal to students with an interest in pertinent debates on the interaction between leadership, peace and security globally, with an emphasis on the global south. As such, you will develop your skills for a career in academia, public and private sectors as well as with non-governmental and international organisations among others.
Bachelor's degree with 2:1 honours (or overseas equivalent) in history, international relations, political science, economics or other appropriate subject.
Courses are divided into modules. You will normally take modules totalling 180 credits. King's College London reviews the modules offered on a regular basis to provide up-to-date, innovative and relevant programmes of study.
You are required to take the following modules:
- Leadership & Society (40 credits)
- Natural Resource Governance (20 credits)
- The Governance of Security (20 credits)
- Security, Leadership & Society Dissertation & Research Methods (60 credits)
In addition, you are required to take two modules (totalling 40 credits) from a range of optional modules that may typically include:
- Youth and Society in the Development World (20 credits)
- Gender, Leadership & Society (20 credits)
- China and Global Governance (20 credits)
- Up to 20 credits from modules offered across the university, subject to approvals.
- Full time overseas fees:
About Course Provider
King's College London is one of the top 10 UK universities in the world (QS World University Rankings, 2018/19) and among the oldest in England.
King's vision is to make the world a better place, building on our history of pioneering research that has advanced and shaped modern life, such as: the discovery of the structure of DNA; research to better understand autism and develop life-changing therapies; informing air pollution awareness and policy; research that led to the development of radio, radar, television and mobile phones; and making maths available to the underprivileged. These are all ways that we are having a transformational impact on society.
Our intellectually rigorous teaching environment is coupled with a commitment to providing a rich and supportive student experience. We have more than 31,000 students (of whom nearly 12,800 are postgraduates, with 1,000 students enrolled in online masters courses) from 150 countries worldwide, meaning that students are part of a truly international community. Our 8,500 members of staff collaborate with students to help them get the most out of their degree. Many of our academics are also researchers working within and influencing their industries, meaning that students learn the latest thinking and understand its practical and contemporary relevance.
King's College London and Guy's and St Thomas', King's College Hospital and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trusts are part of King's Health Partners. King's Health Partners Academic Health Sciences Centre (AHSC) is a pioneering global collaboration between one of the world's leading research-led universities and three of London's most successful NHS Foundation Trusts, including leading teaching hospitals and comprehensive mental health services.
How to enroll?
Provide us with your contact details, course provider will get back to you.