Job description / Role
Mott MacDonald's support services are the driving force behind our organisation enabling us to run efficiently and effectively. The team works collaboratively to offer specialist advice, best practise and technology to all areas of our business specifically designed for our global reach. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
Global Practice Leaders play a critical role in the group's strategy and are responsible for leading a practice community, and for representing Mott MacDonald on a global basis.
Practices are central to the new group strategy because these communities provide connectivity across our regions and sectors. They both open opportunities and connect thinking. Therefore, the need for strong practice leadership is greater than ever before. Practice Leaders are enablers. Practice Leaders use their great collaboration skills to engage, encourage and maximise contributions to Mott MacDonald's body of leading-edge knowledge and skills.
Fundamentally, the role of a Practice Leader is to provide the leadership that will enable a global community to achieve the following practice objectives.
- Working as one team globally
- Enhancing visibility internally and externally
- Supporting Account Leaders in developing business and engaging with clients
- Improving efficiency (including through the development of digital solutions)
- Safeguarding technical quality and our reputation
- Advancing staff capability
- Unlocking innovation
- Sharing knowledge and best practice
- Fostering thought leadership and professional excellence
- Driving sustainability
The ten objectives above are to be delivered by the Practice as a community. The Practice Leader leads the Practice to achieve these objectives.
- Develop and achieve strategy initiatives for growth and delivery efficiency consistent with the Group as clarified and directed by the Built Environment Global Sector Leader.
- Support other Global Sectors and Sub-sectors needs.
Working as One Team Globally:
- Establish self as an identifiable leader and figurehead for the global DfMA Practice and create a global network.
- Provide leadership to the global practice community to achieve the Practice Objectives.
- Develop and deliver the annual Practice Plan which sets out specific objectives, actions, resources and key deadlines for the coming year.
- Establish, monitor and meet the annual practice budget and, where appropriate request funding for any further specific internal initiatives.
- Collaborate and communicate with other Global Practice Leader's and their practices.
Staff Capability and Capacity:
- Tactically influence global capacity and work sharing to optimise utilisation, activate staff to more often work at their highest and best use, secure more strategic projects and increase leverage on key resources.
- Maintain a register of global practice members and their skills and capabilities.
- Support Resource Managers and Account Leaders to identify and allocate the most appropriate global resources to meet immediate project requirements and longer term strategic initiatives.
- Facilitate the strategic recruitment of senior resources where these are needed in identified growth areas.
- Leverage global specialist skills and capabilities to secure scale projects.
Innovation, Thought Leadership and Knowledge Sharing
- Champion process efficiency to improve how we do things and increase profitability.
- Lead the Practice's response to the Group Practice initiatives.
- Organise forums, symposia, seminars, workshops and other events that promote thought leadership and raise our external profile.
- Ensure the practice is producing papers, publications, social media articles and presentations for conferences, industry forums and external events.
Standardisation, Automation and Delivery Efficiency:
- Define and optimise work processes across the practice to improve efficiency and profitability.
- Drive standardisation and automation to improve delivery efficiency.
- Develop and implement specific digital initiatives and plans to support the group GoDigital initiative.
Clients and winning work:
- Support Account Leaders in developing business, engaging with clients and ensuring client satisfaction.
- Collaborate and communicate with Key Account Leaders and Account Leaders to support proposals and projects and client engagement.
- Demonstrable and effective leadership.
- Good people and team coordination skills.
- Passion for the subject area of the practice and having a proactive attitude towards leading initiatives and driving improvement.
- Inspiring, encouraging and mentoring the practice community.
- Significant knowledge and experience in one or more core services of the practice.
- Good working knowledge of Mott MacDonald's systems (i.e. BMS, Office 365).
- Strong appreciation of the prevailing market conditions, key clients, competitors and supply chain.
- Leadership roles with delivery responsibility and accountability on significant DfMA projects.
- Practical experience of implementing the practice knowledge-base on projects.
- Known and respected as a professionally competent person in one or more of the core practice services.
- Demonstrated engagement with the technical community both internally and externally to Mott MacDonald and preferably sits on an appropriate industry institutional committee/board.
About the Company
The Mott MacDonald Group is a diverse management, engineering and development consultancy delivering solutions for public and private clients world-wide.
Mott MacDonald's uniquely diverse 1 billion global consultancy works across 12 core business areas.
As one of the world's largest employee-owned companies with over 14,000 staff, we have principal offices in nearly 50 countries and projects in 140.